Chapter Four: November Rain

I know that you can love me

When there's no one left to blame

So never mind the darkness

We still can find a way

I huddled my sweater closer as a chilly gust of wind came my way. I smiled to myself; I really enjoyed the cold weather. A soft sigh escaped my lips as I walked home. Hmm… I supposed ‘home’ wasn’t quite the right word. Well, whatever it was, I did not want to go there. Why didn’t I leave? Why did I stay? I had thousands of dollars saved, but for what? Where could I go?

So many of those questions troubled me. I could have left at any time… but I always felt like I would find some way back there. I hated it, but it was someplace familiar… therefore ‘comfortable’, as silly as that sounds. Who found comfort in working such a degrading job?

I think that was why graduating high school was so important to me. I thought that if I could have achieved that—not only would that open more doors—but I knew that I could accomplish something big despite difficult circumstances. Most of the girls that fell into this life never got out. I didn’t want to be like the others and accept life the way it was. I wanted things to change.

And change things, I would. But for now, as I approached Bordello Bacio, I would work hard. I looked around before opening the door. Castiel had said he lived in this part of town. I guessed that he lived more towards the residential area, as opposed to downtown where I now was. This area was full of bars, night clubs, dives, and areas of ‘entertainment’ such as the one I was at. What kinds of entertainment? Well, there were exotic dancers, showgirls, escorts, strippers—all that and more. And of course that was all offered at Bordello Bacio, one of the more recognized areas in town. Technically, acts of the sexual nature were not openly offered, as that was illegal. Those rules, however, were easily evaded.

I tried not to think about that, though. I did that kind of thing very rarely. But I felt great shame and disgust each time.

XxXxX

“Welcome back, bella." Vince’s familiar voice filled my ears. “How was school? Tell Papa all about it!" He laughed at his stupid self. He was far too amused with the ‘guardian’ thing.

“It was fine." I responded curtly. The less I spoke to him the better, as I was itching to tell him off once and for all. That wasn’t a good idea, though. Vince was all happiness and laughter now, but his anger was something to be feared. “I need to study and do homework now if you want me to be able to work by tonight." I glanced at a nearby clock, which read 4:15. I had about three and a half hours to finish everything, it seemed reasonable.

“Okay, Didi, but don’t strain yourself! I need you to always be at tip top shape for the guests." He winked at me before walking off to lecture a dancer about her poor performance.

I went up the stairs and headed to my room.

“Oh, hello Didi!" A gleeful and chipper voice called out. I turned around to find Kitty beckoning me over. I waved to her and walked over. She was somewhat of a friend, I supposed. She was also the one who gave me the bag. Kitty was very tall, thin, and had the lightest white-blonde hair one could imagine. She tossed her silky long locks over her shoulder. “How was school?" She giggled. “Meet anyone interesting? Any boys?" The one thing I admired about her was the fact that she always seemed upbeat, positive, and bursting with energy.

“Ha, it was interesting, I guess. And yes, Kitty, I did meet boys. There are hundreds of guys at school." I rolled my eyes, but smiled.

Kitty shook her head and laughed, flipping her towy hair in the process. She really loved that hair. “Oh, Di, you’re so silly." She poked my nose.