Chapter Twenty-Two: Bright Eyes

Bright eyes,

How can you close and fail?

How can the light that burned so brightly

Suddenly burn so pale?

I’ve always found pride in myself for being down to Earth and realistic. I always took each day in stride, handled situations as they came in a manner that was as level-headed as humanely possible. It always appeared as though something different was always happening, and I knew just how easy it was to get caught up in all of it.

And so, I thought I was smarter than that. But I really wasn’t. That which had just occurred… yeah, I definitely didn’t handle the situation in the best way. I guess I’m only human.

“Do I really sound like that?”

I whipped my head back to see the ever cool Castiel leaning against the doorframe. His tone was mocking, but his expression was stony and unreadable. Immediately, my cheeks flared with embarrassment and indignation. To say that wasn’t my greatest moment would have been a grave understatement.

Nathaniel sighed. “Have a seat, Castiel.”

“Yeah, yeah.” Castiel walked over, taking the seat next to me. I couldn’t imagine why, even at a time like this, my heart sped up at his close proximity to my being. Love is confusing.

His eyes bore a hole into my head, but I kept my eyes downcast. I couldn’t handle being with him at that moment. Why on Earth did Nathaniel call him here? Didn’t he see the state I was in? I was beginning to think he was secretly evil.

After several awfully awkward moments, Nathaniel cleared his throat. “So, I suppose you’re wondering why you’re here.”

“What, are you a mind reader now too?” I rolled my eyes at Castiel’s dry sarcasm.

Anyways, Castiel, I believe you were a part of the… conflict that occurred today.”

Me?! I don’t know what she—” He glared at me. “—is telling you, but I didn’t do anything. Get your **** straight, idiot. This is between Amber and this kid over here.”

“I… I’m not a kid.” Well, I wasn’t!

“Oh yeah? You sure are acting like one. When are you going to stop avoiding your problems, huh? When are you going to talk to me? Or even take a damned look at me? Seems pretty childish.”

It appeared as though the flood hadn’t ended quite yet. Thin, salty streams began their journey downwards. “You’re no better.” I said softly, bitterly.

“Why don’t you say that again, Sweetheart? A little louder this time…” He challenged me.

“Cut it out. Both of you.” Nathaniel’s voice of authority interrupted the growing tension. “We’re not here to fight like children, but rather settle our differences like adults.”

“How? By fighting it out?” Castiel retorted.

“You’re suggesting a physical fight between yourself and Desirée?!”

“Huh? No, I thought you were talking about you and me.”

Nathaniel grumbled incoherently under his breath.

“Our problems aren’t the issue right now, Castiel. But—perhaps they are. It has come to my attention that… you’ve been dating my sister Amber?” Again, there were those bad tasting words. Poor Nathaniel.

Castiel laughed. “Yeah, about that… I’m going to have to correct you. I was dating Amber.” Was… was… was?! They… weren’t together anymore? Was that dear snake not coiled around this ape just a mere few hours ago? Time sure flies!