Chapter Eleven: Truth

If I gave you the truth

Would it keep you alive

Though I'm closer to wrong

I'm no further from right

I yawned as I opened the shutters and let the sunshine—well, grey sky—illuminate the room. Rain softly hit the roof in a calming and rhythmic motion. From the window, I could see Castiel in his car, backing out of the driveway.

A frown found its way on my face. I really wanted to know what it was that he wished to discuss. Did he know something? But he had reacted so calmly…

Why was I even in his house? Hm, I supposed that as long as I was here, some exploring wouldn’t hurt. After I showered, though. I felt quite uncomfortable and sticky with perspiration. I glanced around his bedroom, and it was exactly how I expected it to have been. A small smile graced my lips as I noted the slight disarray. What a guy. Posters of various bands and musicians were plastered on the wall, and I found his guitar in a corner.

I exited the room and looked around for the bathroom. I opened a door and found another bedroom. It was a bit bigger and I saw a photograph of a man who resembled Castiel, and a beautiful woman, smiling happily into the camera. This must have been his parents’ room. I wondered where they were. On the dresser I saw the most adorable picture of a younger Castiel. He was grinning widely with missing teeth and short black hair. I chuckled; he seemed so innocent and happy. Was I that way as well?

I sighed and tried the next door. This time, it was the bathroom. It was painted a welcoming shade of blue. I found a fresh towel and change of clothes laid out for me. I smirked; who knew Castiel was this responsible? Really, it was a side to him I’d never seen!

Taking one look in the mirror, I grimaced. I looked a complete mess. I glared down at my evil skirt. It had caused me many problems and great embarrassment.

I quickly stripped out of my clothing and hopped into the shower, the hot water inviting. A sigh of pleasure escaped my lips as the water came into contact with my skin.

But what was I doing relaxing? I had to get back to the club, and face the wrath of Vince. That was something I wasn’t looking forward to. However… during moments like this, when I’d had time to myself and to think, I wondered why I still stayed at that awful place.

Because the truth was, I could have left long ago.

Because even though it was a degrading job, I received a hefty payment. For the year and half that I had been working there, I had accumulated thousands of dollars. I spent very little, so I saved a ton.  Most months I made around $8000 without the 20% cuts Vince made.

What can I say? Pleasure didn’t come cheap.

I could have left the club, and found my own place to live. I could have found another job and supported myself.

I could have done many things. But I didn’t.

As awful as it seemed, I developed a sort of niche within that place. I hated it to pieces, but it gave me a sense of familiarity that I had never found anywhere else.

But I was also a minor. Legally, I wasn’t supposed to be living without some sort of adult. What landlord would let me stay, despite knowing that it would make me a liability? Probably not many.

And where would I make that much money, that quickly, with no education? Nowhere. What was I going to do with all that money? Probably get an education!

I wanted to leave, but it just wasn’t as easy as it seemed.

A sigh escaped my lips as I turned off the water. I grabbed the towel hanging and dried myself off, feeling uncomfortably cold as I got out of the shower. I glanced at the clothing Castiel had lent me, a large black tee shirt and grey sweatpants, and slipped them on... they smelled just like him. I examined myself in the mirror and flushed slightly—it suddenly occurred to me that I was wearing his clothing, and had slept in his bed last night with him.