21. The After-Effects

I know i am late but....no reason would be good enough to justify your wait...Sorry for the delay (do read the note at the end)..!!

...Without any further ado..here you go with the update...Thank you for the wonderful response earlier and hop this long update of 5000 words matches your expectations too...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The past was out there in open. Everyone had their heads hung low just the way they had five years back. They had visited probably the most traumatic memories of their lives and recalling it, ensued absolute silence in the hall for a long time, the silence that was frightening, the silence that was agonizing, the silence that was broken by the sound of steps. Manik got alerted since he could sense the steps approaching him. He looked up to find Abhi coming towards him. Abhi and Manik stood face to face, before Manik could realize what's coming his way he felt immense pain near lips and found his upper body bending as a reflex.

Nandini – Abhi are you crazy...why did you punch him..??

Abhi looked directly into Manik's eyes

Abhi – No one...I mean No one has the right to slap my sister...!!

Saying this, he started moving towards the door

Nandini – Have you gone nuts Abhi....??... Where are you going...??

Abhi – Home..!!

Nandini held his hand forcing him to stop. Abhi turned and his eyes met Mukti's. He kept the gaze with Mukti intact for a few seconds before turning his head towards Nandini

Abhi – I am going home...Don't worry I will be fine... I need to some time to absorb whatever I just heard... (and then he looked back at Mukti)... Somethings are too important in my life and I don't wish to take any decision impulsively or in haste...

Nandini – But Abhi..!!

Abhi – All these years we gave you your time Nandini.... Whenever you wished for it and for whatever duration you needed it.... Today I need my space... and don't worry I won't be lost for years rather just a few hours... You take care...!!

Abhi kissed Nandini's forehead and moved out but turned around just before reaching the door. He took steps towards Mukti and cupped her face. Mukti closed her eyes in anticipation as Abhi brought her face closer to his but instead of dropping a kiss as per Mukti's thoughts, he joined their foreheads together and stayed in that state for a few minutes before moving out. Mukti left for her room while Cabir, Navya, Dhruv and Alia too left leaving Manik and Nandini alone in the hall.

Nandini moved to the kitchen and came back with an ice pack. She gave it Manik while Manik looked at her confusingly. She silently placed it at the corner of his bleeding lips and gestured Manik to hold it. The tensed atmosphere that the troubled past brought along was becoming too heavy for both of them to handle. They were at crossroads. They wanted to talk and stay mum at the same time. The contradicting emotions were taking a toll on their sensibility and before things could turn worse, Nandini moved out of Mukti's house and headed towards Dadi's place. Manik sat in the hall, alone with an ice pack in his hand and tears rolling down on his cheeks. A few moments later after Nandini's leaving, he too left for his home.

----------

Meanwhile, when Nandini reached Dadi's place, she found her going through some stuff kept in an old suitcase.

Nandini – Dadi...yeh aap kya kar rahe ho...??

Dadi – Aray tu aa gyi...kuch nahi beta...was just rearranging a few certificates...Kuch documents renew karane the toh unke liye jo necessary documents hain woh ek file mein laga rahi thi..!!