#53: How to; Basics of Makeup

Alrighty, so this tutorial should have been one of the first, but I'm dumb and forgetful so bare with me. Anyways, this tutorial is all about the basics of makeup - this is everything you should know before you start doing all those complicated makeup looks. It takes alot of time and practise to perfect putting on makeup and once you've mastered the basics you'll be as good as one of those youtube beauty gurus. 

This tutorial is basically makeup for dummies, meaning you really have to know all this master the art of makeeuppp. I'll explain various makeup products and how to use them; I'll even give you some tips throughout the tutorial. 

1. Foundation; Okay so foundation is used to cover your face, even you skin tone, make your skin smoother and cover up blemishes. 

How to use foundation: 

Liquid; 

To apply the foundation onto your skin you should use a foundation brush or you can also use a sponge if you want. So start by applying dots of the product onto your face - your cheeks, forehead, chin and everywhere else you need too. But don't apply too much, or you'll end up looking too cakey. Remember 'less is more!' Taking your foundation brush, start blend the dots of foundation into your skin. If you want an airbrushed finish, then blend the foundation all over, including the eye area, starting in the middle and carefully working your way out. 

2. Concealer; basically hides your dark circles, can be used to highlight, to cover up blemishes, pimples and any other imperfections on your skin. 

Alot of people say you should apply concealer before foundation, but after going through alot of sources, I found that it's better to apply concealer after foundation. Why, you ask - well if you apply concealer before foundation then you'll end up using more than you need too. If you use it afterwards then you'll be able to see where you actually need it and if the foundation has already covered it or not. Also the foundation will kind of act as a base for your concealer therefore causing it to not crease. 

How to use concealer:

You can use a concealer brush for this, but your finger will do just as well. So your face should be pretty perf looking because of the foundation, but sometimes foundation alone just isn't enough. So dab some concealer onto the visible imperfections on your skin and also apply some under your eyes to cover dark cirlces. Then blend the concealer in using a concealer brush or finger. 

3. Primer; Is just a kind cream which you put on your face before putting on foundation and all your other makeup. It's job is to kind of be a base for all your makeup, it helps set all your makeup, make it last longer, prevent your foundation from looking cakey and it just has so many other benefits. 

How to use a primer:

Okay, so you use a primer after applying your moisturizer. But, not straight after wait about five minutes, before applying the primer. Squeeze a very small amount of primer and put it onto your skin, especially places like on your eyelid and underneath it. 

4. Blush; It helps bring more life to your life, make it more glowing and make you look more young and happy.. somehow. 

How to use a blush; 

To apply blush, you will need a fluffy brush. Take the brush and pat the brush into the blush and remove the excess product by tapping the brush. Now do the fish face to find the apples of your cheek and apply the blush onto the top of your cheekbone. Move the brush in a circular pattern until you have the right amount of colour on your cheek. Don't put too much on, it'll make your cheeks stand out too much and make you look like a clown. If you have accidentally applied too much, then blend it using your brush until it looks a little less visible.

5. Bronzer - Bronzing + Contouring; By using a bronzer, you will be able to add more definition to your cheeks and even some more colour if you have very pale skin. It's perfect for summer, to give your face that sunkissed look. Contouring is all about definition. You can define certain features that you really like on your face or even fix up some features. 

Make sure you choose a shade of bronzer thats darker than your own skin tone, but not too dark. Also choose a matte bronzer because shimmery ones with glitter just make your skin too shinny. 

How to use bronzer:

Take a contour brush or you can even use a blush brush or just any rounded face brush. Put bronzer onto your brush then apply under your cheek bones and blend upwards. Take your brush again and apply some bronzer along the top of your forehead.

Contouring is about hilighting the areas you want to pop and darkening to define the areas that aren't so perfect. Contouring is also very hard, so I suggest you read this and also do some more research - it will take a long time to perfect this. 

How to contour:

Your nose; 

Take a highlighter - no not a real one, what I mean is a lighter coloured makeup product which helps highlight certain areas of your face - so a lighter coloured foundation, light eyeshadow, or concealer. So take the highlighter and apply it to the bridge of your nose. Then take your bronzer onto a flat brush and apply it down the sides of your nose and on the tip. This helps make your nose look slimmer and smaller. Make sure you blend everything in properly in circular motions.

 Your jawline;

Take your highlighter and apply along your jawline, then take some bronzer onto your flat brush and apply it in the hollows of your cheek and also under your jawline. Now blend it up in circular motions.

6. Mascara; I'm pretty sure you know what this is, it's the fabulous thing that makes your eyelashes long. 

How to use a mascara: 

Start by curling your eyelashes. Then take your mascara and start applying it to your lashes, start from the base of your lashes slowly making your way to the top. Swipe your brush from the inner corner of your eye to the outer lashes to make your lashes look more full. Apply as many coats as you think is necessary, but don't apply too much - you don't want spider legs for lashes.

7. Eyeliner; Is used to add definition to your eyes and is essential to complete a makeup look. 

How to use eyeliner:

Start from the inner corner of your eyes and make your way to the outer corner tracing along the line of your eyes. If you need more help with this check out tutorial number #24 - how to perfect eyeliner.

------------------------------------------------

Author's Note: 

Hey everyone! I hope this tutorial helped you, because I spent two hours writing it and I think I haven't covered everything but those up there are the basics. If you have any questions about this, or are still not sure about how to apply makeup then just leave a comment below or ask me in a pm!

Sorry it's a bit long, but I wanted to explain it properly so you would understand properly. I know I said that I would upload the how to curl your hair without heat, but I just felt this was more necessary. 

Anyways, if you have any more tutorial requests or actually if you want me to add anything to all that up there, just comment below. 

Thank you for reading! Don't forget to comment, vote and follow! 

Love you all!

- Tasy xo (rainbowunic0rn)