Chapter 10

"Right now, Abby is suffering from amnesia. She has a Retrograde amnesia. This form of amnesia results from brain injury and usually follows damage to the areas of the brain other than hippocampus-the part of the brain involved in encoding new memories-in which the individual loses memories for the time period just prior to the injury. Itong period na ito may stretch from a few minutes to several years, and typically it is worst for events na nangyari just before the injury. Though they may be able to encode and memorize new things that occur after the onset and they may recall long-term memories because the already existing long-term memories are stored in the neurons and synapses of various different brain regions. So technically, she may be able to remember her childhood and people involved there but she may not be able to recall events, people or special someone that happened or occurred shortly before the injury. This type of amnesia is one of the common types but is a really serious issue," mahabang explanation ng neurologist ni Abby.

"Ano'ng treatment ng sakit na iyan ni Abby, Doc? Please do anything para gumaling siya at bumalik ang memories niya," umiiyak na tanong at pakiusap ni Mama Alice.

Tumikhim muna ang doktor bago nagsalita, "As for the treatment. First, she may undergo an MRI to determine how her injured brain is working, and an electroencephalogram or EEG, to record electrical activity and to detect for possible seizures. She may also undergo for a cognitive rehabilitation, in which she learns to develop the memory skills she have and perhaps regain some skills that she lost. Another option is neuropsychological testing. These tests check brain function in the frontal, temporal, and parietal lobes. They also assess a patient's emotional state. What looks like amnesia in some cases might actually be a severe depression. Matagalan at magastos ang proseso na yan. I may also recommend her to take medications. Hindi natin pwedeng ipilit na ipaalala sa kanya ang lahat kasi makakasama iyon para sa lagay nya. It's possible that her amnesia will resolve on its own as the brain heals itself so we need to wait for it to happen but it takes time. Long period of time. Kailangan nyo ng mahabang pasensya and understanding. She needs all the support she may get from all of you," mahabang explanation nito. Sympathy is written all over his face.

"Kung may katanungan at kailangan pa kayo, you may approach me at my office. Good Day Mr. Montreal, Mr. and Mrs. Fernandez," sabi ng doktor bago lumabas ng suite ni Abby.

Halos nakatulala lang ako sa mga sinabi ng doctor. Abby has amnesia. Naaalala niya kung sino siya at kung sino ako, but the thing is, she can't remember that we are married at lalong mas masakit doon ay hindi niya maalala na mahal ko siya at mahal niya ako. It hurts like hell.

Para akong pinagsakluban ng langit at lupa. Kung kailan mahal na mahal ko na siya saka naman nangyari ito. Shít! I know it's my fúcking fault again pero hindi ko naman sinasadya iyon.

I left the hospital with a broken heart. Ang sakit, puta! I suffered waiting for her to wake up for three long fúcking months and when she finally woke up, ito ang sasalubong sa akin? Ang sakit na itanggi ka ng taong mahal mo.

I don't know where to go so I drove away from the hospital. Natagpuan ko na lang ang sarili kong pauwi sa bahay. I felt empty. Ang tahimik. Naiisip ko iyong times na sa tuwing uuwi ako ay sasalubungin ako ni Abby. I miss her so dàmn much. I miss her kisses, hugs, care lalo na ang pagmamahal niya sa akin. Kung kailan hulog na hulog na ako sa asawa ko ay saka naman bigla na lang nagkaganito.

I went to our room. Napatingin ako sa malaking portrait noong kasal namin. I know during that time that I already love her pero dahil sa mga lintik na pictures na iyon na hindi naman pala totoo ay pinigilan ko ang pagmamahal na iyon at nagalit ako sa kanya. Ang daming hirap ang ipinaranas ko sa kanya dahil doon but she doesn't deserve to be treated like that because she was really innocent.