Chapter 10

Chapter 10

Kyle Vinx admires the strong woman that sleeps before him. The superiors thought it would be better for Anastasia to sleep somewhere where she would be safe just in case something goes wrong. To them she’s evidence. To him she’s a strong willed woman who’s suffered so much. Such a beauty that was abused in many different ways.

She sleeps on the sofa in his home. It seems highly inappropriate to have the victim sleep in an Agents home, but Anastasia refused to go anywhere where Kyle wasn’t. The director finally decided to ask if Kyle would let Anastasia spend the night at his place. It worked out.

The only problem was the watch gaze of her blue-green eyes. On their way to his apartment she observed every single dark corner on the street. In his home she observed every painting and detail. It was as if she was waiting for Xavier to imprison her again. The mere though twisted him the wrong way. No one should have suffered locked up like she did, but he can’t do anything about the past. There’s a future and he will help her get on a calm state of mind to accept that Xavier will never touch, look, or trap her again. She won’t go back to that hell she lived in for seven years. Not if he can help it.

He leans over her and covers her with a thick wool blanket. Kelly called him to inform him that the Dylans would arrive in the morning to see their daughter. They are taking the governor’s private jet.

Kyle makes himself a cup of coffee. He can’t sleep at all. It’s a sense of protection he has over Anastasia. Seeing her so helpless while asleep makes his mind wonder through different scenarios if he falls asleep and can’t protect her. He’s grown some feeling towards Anastasia, but he’s on her case as an FBI agent. If he lets his feeling out then they will reassign him and he wants to help put Xavier in prison for the rest of his life. Maybe then he could think of maybe getting to know Anastasia more if she chooses.

            The smell of food awakes Anastasia. She throws the blanket aside and follows the sweet scent that attracts her. She enters the small kitchen as Kyle flips pancakes in the pan. He smiles up at her. “Good morning. Are you hungry?”

            She nods.  “Good morning.”

            “How did you sleep?”

            “I don’t dream.” She blurts out without thinking. She covers her mouth with an expecting look on her face.

            He picks up the pan. She flinches at the movement. “Hey, are you okay?”

            “Sorry, I thought you were going to burn me.”

            He frowns at her. “I would never hurt you.” He states.

            She nods. “I just- It’s – It’s just that when Xavier asked me how would I sleep I would have to tell him that I dreamed of him. That way he won’t burn me.” She confessed. She frowns at her confession. She just told Kyle a detailed part of her time with Xavier.

“Where would he burn you?”

“He’s a doctor. He found a way to not let it be obvious on my skin.”

“Can I see them?” He asked with sympathy in his eyes.

She looks back at him with thought. Why would he want to see her scars? She hates them, but the good outcome was that they don’t show as much as they once did dude to treatment. She slowly turns around to show him. With her delicate fingers she pulls her hair up to reveal the back of her neck where all the faint scars are.