Chapter 11

Chapter 11

The FBI headquarters has a lot of security. Anastasia is amazed how Kyle continuously used his ID card to get through many doors that were restricted to visitors. She’s wearing her brand new outfit and it warms her to know that she’s not wearing an expensive gown to make someone look good. It’s a small sense of freedom she hadn’t gotten with Xavier. She likes it. Anastasia smiles at Kyle with a sad look. He raises his eyebrows in question.

“When will I be able to see Hailey?”

“Does it matter that much to you?”

“She’s like my daughter. I just want to talk to her in person. Please Kyle.” She begs.

“I will talk to her parents and see if it’ll be okay with them. It’s really up to them, not us.”

“I understand.”

“Hailey doesn’t have any marks that we searched. No sign of abuse, how did Xavier last long enough to not hurt her?”

Anastasia looks away. “He had me. I always stood in front of her, but one time I couldn’t protect her from him. The bruises already faded.” She walks ahead of him.

He grabs her upper arm and turns her around. She loses her footing and stumbles into his chest. She looks up to meet his eyes. “You won’t have to ever do that again. I’ll protect you.”

A small pit of hope rises. He said it as a promise that he would always protect her, but she knows better. Xavier will get her soon and Kyle is just doing his job. He has to say that. If she makes herself believe that he’s not attracted to her and only is getting closer to her because of his job then it would be easier to let go of the feelings of attraction she has for him.

She nods at his promise. “You have to, for now.” She pulls away from his warm arms.

“You’re not going to go back to him. I can assure you that.”

“You’re just like everyone else. You believe in your hopes then in reality. I’m different than you. I live the reality.”

The conversation ends. Kyle leads her to the hallway that leads to an interrogation room, walking a couple of steps in front of her. He’s lost in his thoughts. If the situation was different he would have kissed her, but there were many people around them. What he can’t explain is how she is so committed into believing that she will go back to the hell Xavier brought her. She’s not like other victims. She doesn’t believe that the life she’s spent kidnapped could stop. Or is it that she knows something about Xavier that she’s not telling? Him along with his partner, Agent Kelly Smith, will interrogate her before she meets with her parents, which is a surprise.

He opens the door of the room and steps aside to let Anastasia go in first. She passes him without bothering to take a glance at him. He knows she’s going to try to ignore him. As an agent he can quickly read people and she’s making it obvious as she sits in the chair and looks away from him.

Mintues pass in silence. “Do you want coffee? Water? Food?” He offers her. Somehow he doesn’t like her not talking to him.

“I already had a meal today.”

“You can eat more if you want.” He encouraged her.

She looks straight at him with curiosity. “Really?”

“Yeah, you ate only breakfast; it’s the afternoon now so it’s time for lunch.”

“Two meals a day?” she asks with confusion.

Agent Smith opens the door with seriousness showing on her. Her red hair is up in a tight bun. Her skirt suit is black with a white buttoned up blouse. And her struts show tension. “What’s strange about having more than one mean a day?” She asks Anastasia without looking at her.