4. motorcycles and shopping

STEPHEN STARED at the classy motorcycle as Reece brought it out from the driveway. He let out a small whistle at the sight of it. "Classy piece, Mother Reece."

Reece laughed, lifting his middle finger in response. Stephen chuckled, taking a few steps forward. "You maintained it well. You clean and do all that stuff like a mother does to her baby." "

"You are right. My girlfriend loves this motorcycle too," Reece winked.

Reece Welles was one of his favorite persons, and he could openly admit that he was Stephen's boy crush. With a personality that demanded attention, Reece came in the looks with brains category. When outsiders saw Piper and Reece Welles together, it was evident they were siblings. Black curly hair which never stayed in one place, olive complexion inherited from their mother and with the raven color of their eyes - they were lookers.

"You need to teach him how to handle it, though. He never rode a motorcycle." Piper said. Striding towards them with her hands tucked in her pockets, she made her way towards them, a mischievous gleam on her face.

Stephen waved a hand at her in acknowledgment to which Piper blew an air kiss, pouting her lips. His cheeks tinted, the color running through his pale skin at her open display of affection. It reminded him of the day he met Piper, a small girl then who had put her hands on his cheeks, reducing him to a fluttering mess. 

"I have driven a motorcycle," Stephen said, pursing his lips.

"No, you haven't," Piper retorted back.

"I did-"

"Don't count the one when we both fell."

"I asked you not to come with me!"

"Kids," Reece's voice broke them apart. "Shut up. Stephen, you have a week left, so practice. I will teach you. It's not that hard. Think of a bicycle with extra hormones."

"That's a weird way to put it," Stephen said, rubbing his eyes with the heels of his hand. "What am I doing?" He mumbled to himself, looking up at the sky, then at the motorcycle.

"Do not destroy my motorcycle. I mean it." Reece said out aloud, breaking Stephen from his self-talk. "And, you," he pointed a finger on Piper. "You will be responsible because you are forcing him to use one."

Piper crossed her hands over heart. "I promise." Then, she winked at Stephen.

***

Done with the shopping from the pocket money they had saved over summer, Stephen and Piper sat in the small cafeteria, looking at the bill.

"I spent all my money, but I am happy," Piper said with an uncontrollable grin on her face. Her eyes glanced at the shopping bags seldom- a smile appearing on her face whenever she saw them.

Stephen looked at the shopping bags with his clothes. There were the usual- hoodies, tees, and flannel shirts. But he never got the contentment after spending an enormous amount of money. And, the feeling sucked.

"Are you nervous about new school?" Piper asked. The bangles clinked against the mug as she took a long sip, spilling some droplets on Stephen's sleeve. He wiped it with his other hand while answering her. "Oh, are you asking me if I would feel comfortable without my glasses, funky platinum color dyed hair, and other ridiculous reasons, nope, not at all."

Piper busted out laughing, unable to hide her amusement at his prospect. "You are such a spoilsport, Stephen."

"The forfeit you decided sounds like a plot directly taken from a trashy romantic book, the kind you read."

For a month. For a month," Piper emphasized, tapping the napkin with her finger as she repeated. "I gave you an entirely easy dare, but it was too much for your gentleman honor, so now, be a bad boy. "She leaned back against her chair, a wicked grin on her face. "And, make me proud."

***

Stephen blinked back at the image the mirror forecasted. As the hairdresser coated his hair with platinum dye, he took a deep breath- chanting to himself.

It's just for a month. It's just a damn hair color. You are not giving your kidney to someone else.

But as Stephen stared at a few strands of his now platinum hair, the panic started.

"Ah, this will go away in a month, right?" He asked the hairdresser, who was busy humming to herself.

"Yes, it will go off. I wish Donald Trump could also wash off, just like your dye." She sighed. "And, you will look good. First time?"

Stephen nodded. First and last. He thought.

***

Piper's shout echoed as he stepped out. Stephen had specifically asked her to sit outside because he was afraid of her reaction. As he saw the huge grin on Piper's face, Stephen thought maybe he didn't look like a pale cheese after all.

"Oh my god, oh my god, Stephen. Look at you!" Piper left her spot on the bench and ran the last few steps, jumping to show her excitement. She shook her hands in his direction. "Look at your hair!"

"A mirror did show me my hair. Thank you very much." Stephen said in a surly voice but felt a small smile making its way as he glanced at Piper.

Piper came forward and ran her hands through his hair. "I miss your black hair, though."

"You better miss my black hair because I hate my hair right now." 

"Imagine how your parents will act."

Stephen ran a hand over his face. They just had to get over their son's personality change.

***