7. the bowl date

"CHALLENGED US, Piper," Stephen pointed the finger at himself. "They challenged us."

Anyone who would have sat opposite Stephen in the cafe would claim that he was boasting about himself. But, Piper knew better. He bore a curious expression, his eyes darting between Piper and the mug. The boy who went by the name Nick had come to Stephen to team up with him against seniors who had challenged juniors. A harmless battle, but a fight nevertheless.

"You like challenges," Piper stated calmly.

"I do, but this was my freaking first day!" He threw both his hands in the air. "Do you know what those bunch of arrogant guys told me." Stephen's face turned into a grimace as he imitated a voice. 'You guys are acting too cocky. We are challenging you, and if you lose, you do our assignments. Got that?'

"I mean we enter high school and the seniors are already challenging us."

Piper's mouth twitched at Stephen's portrayal of the guy, but she hid it. "Well, they are intimidated by your looks. And, you are a confident man, you know. It's the tone you use, and the poker face you carry is ace."

"There's one good thing, though," Stephen said.

Piper's face lit up at this. "What is it?"

"They also told me, and I quote 'You can pick up a challenge. We don't want whiny juniors telling everyone we are cowards who didn't give a chance.'

Can you believe that?"

"Now, you have an evil look on your face, Stephen." He indeed did. A glow came over his face, which crinkled the corner of his eyes. The thought was out of blue, but Piper realised that with the absence of blue lens and specs - his brown irises were open to the word, a rarity because he couldn't go out without his glasses.

"I love seeing your bare eyes." Piper blurted out, inching closer to Stephen.

"You love seeing me bare everywhere, baby." He put a playful arm around Piper's shoulder. "Let me take you to the place where the challenge will be held," his voice dropped to a whisper. "And, we can spend some time alone too."

***

The cold concrete of the underside of the bowl touched Piper's back as she leaned against it. Pushing Stephen's skateboard out of the way with her feet, she stretched her legs. The wisps of the purple sky was a sign of the sun setting down. Her favorite time of the day.

"This is the best time of the day to come here. People are hardly present, and we can always make out in the open," Piper said, resulting in a roll of the eyes from Stephen.

"Also, it's the best time to practice," Stephen added.

Piper hummed, shifting closer to him. The ever present hint of his citrus soap filled her as she dropped her head on his shoulder. Stephen sighed, and lowered his head atop hers.

"Do you think the guys will listen if you choose skateboarding as a challenge?"

"If they don't, I will make some lame talk and tell them that they are too weak and scared to skateboard or something." He let out a small laugh. "The teenage boy ego will come into place, and they will agree."

"And, what if they don't? Not everyone is egoistic."

"Most of them are," Stephen mumbled, lost in thought. He moved away- the feel of his cheek on her gone. Piper slipped her hands into his denim jacket, settling her hands on his bare chest. She moved and sat between his legs.

Piper leaned forward and kissed his neck, unable to hide her temptation. "I feel drunk when I see you." The mark of the cherry red lipstick on his pale skin made the action more enticing. Her tongue darted out to taste his skin- the moment cherished between her and her fantasies. Stephen let out a soft sigh, tilting his neck. His soft lips traced the pathway down her throat, luring out a soft sigh of her own.

"I am drunk when I see you." With his lips still there, his hands made their way beneath the fabric of her soft cotton shirt, his fingers tracing circles just above her waistline. She felt his lips turn up in a smile as he playfully whispered. "Rhetorically, I might add."