22. our version of a date

STEPHEN LEANED FORWARD, careful not to let Piper know about his presence, and was about to shout in her ear when-

"Stephen, I know it's you."

Piper turned around and sat upright on her bed, grinning at him. He narrowed his eyes at her, frowning. "How did you know?"

"My olfactory sense." Piper scrunched up her nose to prove her point.

"Fancy vocabulary."

"I am not sure how, but, I can feel your presence," she looked at him, a soft smile on her face. "Isn't that amazing?"

"Wonders of love, sweetheart," Stephen said, matching her smile with his own. He leaned forward, caressing her dark curly hair, and stared into her black eyes which always crinkled in his presence. "Let's go outside."

Her eyes widened in surprise. She put her hands over his, gripping them. "Are you serious? As much as I would love to go, it's late at night," she pointed her finger at the window. "Very late."

"My parents are heavy sleepers. There's no chance they would get up now. Kian also doesn't get up until morning. And your mom-"

"Checks on me once a time at night, which she already did so now, she won't come again." Her voice had shifted to a higher tone, the excitement visible in her posture as she sat on her knees, and clapped her hands in glee. "I am ready."

"I already brought mom's car with me," he brought his hand forward. "Let's go."

"I am still in pajamas, Stephen."

"If you haven't noticed, I am wearing a threadbare shirt which is almost three years old, and sweatpants which have scooby doobie doo on them."

Piper giggled, the soft sound warming up the air around him. He wondered, at times, how it was possible for a person to be in love with another human whose simple presence could fill you with comfort and solace.

When he heard the voice of Piper's laughter, he understood. Love was not grand or huge, it was simple, and happy, making you euphoric and drunk on the sense.

"For me, love is Piper," he said the words out aloud, softly kissing on her lips. A serene expression settled on her face, as she stood up and wrapped her arms around his neck, tugging his forehead to hers. "For me, it's you, Stephen."

***

"I love the beach," Piper shouted at the top of lungs, while Stephen struggled to place the thin blanket on the sand which rose up at every stroke of the wind.

"It would be great if you could come and help me put this," he gritted his teeth when one side of the blanket flew up, again. "This sucks." As he bent, his legs shook as Piper launched herself on his back, causing him to stumble and almost fall face down on the ground.

"Piper," he exclaimed, embarrassed by the force of the fall. "I could have broken my face."

The sound of her laughter echoed around them, but that didn't stop her. "It's sand, not marble tiles."

When he raised up an eyebrow in question while dusting his hands to remove the sand, Piper rolled her eyes. "Fine, fine don't be cranky."

"It's a lousy blanket. Who makes them thin nowadays?" Piper said, holding one side of the blanket to show him.

Together, they spread the blanket, placed his bag, her camera, leftover pizza and a little sand in all corners of the blanket to balance it on the ground.

"Our perfect little picnic," Stephen mumbled, lying down on the blanket. His eyes instantly took in the bright stars, which shone with the ever-present twinkle in them. Piper laid down beside him, putting her head on his arm. Together they watched the sky emit a soft glow over the place, mingled with the splashing sound of the water.

"So, Stephen why the sudden date?" Piper turned around and cuddled closer to him, brushing his hair away from his forehead. Stephen caressed the side of her face, loving the feel of her skin on his hand which quivered at his touch. "Don't you think I am romantic?" he asked in a teasing voice.

"Not exactly," Piper said, and shrugged.

"Are you telling me I am not romantic-"

"You are romantic," she slipped her hand past his shirt, running it over his bare chest,"But, I also know you want to distract me from thinking."

"Piper-" he said with guilt, slipping his hand under the backside of her shirt, running his hand in a soft caress over her back. "I don't like to see you stressed."

Piper sighed. Shifting, she looked up at the sky and closed her eyes. Stephen heard her breathing amidst the soft sound of the wind, saw the rise, and fall of her chest and waited for her to speak.

"Alisha likes you," she said, her eyes still closed.

Stephen opened his mouth to speak but stared at her wild-eyed, unable to believe it.

"She does not. Did she tell you the exact words?"

Finally, opening her eyes, Piper peered at him. "No, but, I know she does."

"I never led her on. When she didn't say anything, why are you assuming?" When the panic increased, he couldn't stop from standing up. "I cannot believe it."

Piper stood up too, glaring at him. "You think it's easy for me to watch a girl like you," she shouted, breathing heavily, her hands clutched into fists beside her hips. Stephen's heart thumped at the hurt in the voice. The sight of her glassy eyes was her undoing, and he immediately embraced her in a tight hug.

"It's all my fault," she murmured between sobs, and Stephen gently sat down, taking Piper along with him. He let her cry while explaining that it involved the two of them, and she shouldn't take the fall.

"We will tell Alisha the truth. I don't know how, but first thing tomorrow, we will do that." He wiped the tears away from her cheeks. "I bought you here for a date, and we are going to enjoy it that."

Piper smiled, the tears still on her cheeks. She quickly wiped them and leaned forward to kiss him, with a languid pace, and Stephen returned it back matching her passion, his hand slipping in her hair. Soon, their hands were moving with desperation, tucking the clothes out but Stephen stopped.

"We should eat that pizza," he said, catching his breath.

Piper quirked up an eyebrow. "I didn't know you preferred a pizza to my kisses. Oh," she slapped her hand on her forehead. "I brought a camera to take photos too."

That's how they made it their date. Eating the cold pizza while watching the beach, taking random snaps with the camera—they captured the memories in their heart with huge smiles on their faces.

Love indeed was simple. And happy.

***
[A|N] - hello guys! I hope you enjoy this chapter. I wrote it down because I wanted it to be a happy one, but it turned out a bit dramatic hehe :-P anyway, the next two-three chapters will be short to build up the tension. As far as planning goes, six chapters are left. I won't be able to update much next month but i will try my best.
Thank you for the votes and comments, lovely people. Have a great day ahead <3