8. persistent mothers

BREAKFAST AT THE Hayes household was a noisy event. Kian whining about not liking anything, Sophie Hayes fussing over her husband, Lincoln Hayes to eat less sugar, and Stephen- a quiet spectator, not getting engaged in it.

Today, however, things looked different.

Stephen tried his best not to raise his eyes from the bowl in front of him on the table. Ever since he had adorned the bad-boy look, his mother was at his back, curiously glancing whenever he walked. His father, being a business man, often had to travel to other states. A good thing- seeing as there was a person less to question him about his looks.

It's strange how one's brain could perceive someone's gaze on you without having to look. Stephen's senses grew aware as he tried to leave, avoiding the questions his mother had.

"Stephen."

He grew still at her voice and raised his head.

"Mom, haven't you gone to the office, yet?"

"I can go late sometimes."

"Uhmm.. yeah you are the CEO."

"True, but I am also you mother."

"Mom, do you want to talk about-"

"Are you depressed? Do you want to talk to me?"

"What! I am not depressed. Why are you even asking me this?"

"Did Piper break up with you?"

"No, mom. She just came here yesterday night to our house."

"Well, she is our neighbor too."

"_"

"_"

"Why are you talking to me like I have lost my head?"

"You changed your looks! I read that the first sign of depression is-"

"Mom! I am not depressed!"

"Then why did you color your hair to that hideous shade of white or platinum or whatever it is!"

"I..I wanted to change my looks for a while. New school, new looks."

"Don't lie to your mother. I can read your face."

"Mom, I promise you. It's nothing to worry about."

"Stephen, dear, are you going through some rebellious teenage phase?"

"Mom."

"Stephen."

"Okay, I will leave it here for now. Just remember, If you want to talk, I am always there for you. Just think me as your friend. And, whatever actions your father and I take is for your betterment."

"I know, mom. I know."

Stephen got up, shaken by the strange conversation with his mother. He went to her side and kissed her cheek. "I love you, Mom."

His mother smiled, the same smile he had inherited from her, and patted his cheek.

Mothers, Stephen thought, gearing up for a new day at school.

-------------------------------------------------

I AM BACK ! ;)