25. stand up say hallelujah

STEPHEN TOOK a deep breath.

The height of the stage wasn't high, but he could see every face, some filled with excitement, some with confusion, and some uninterested.

"Don't I look a little different today?" he started with these words into the microphone and looked down at his converse shoes. He had done it all today- a sponge bob t-shirt, glasses, and thankfully his natural black hair was back.

A loud cheer erupted. Stephen was long past being nervous. After hours and hours of overthinking, avoiding Piper for the fear that she would object, and an hour of listening to songs, especially Hallelujah by Panic! At the disco, he concluded one thing.

He was a sinner, and had to stand up, and say hallelujah. A bit dramatic but, basically that's what he got from the song.

"So, this is a confession thing I would like to do," Stephen paused and gulped when he saw a teary eyed and angry Piper. "But, this needs to be done."

"At the start of high school, I had accepted a dare by a..friend," Stephen trailed off, still not decided about what to speak.

The phone is his pocket vibrated, no doubt Piper warning him off. Deciding to ignore it, he continued.

"I know it sounds weird, but that's how I started the whole bad boy thing. My friend dared me to dye my hair to a platinum shade, made me wear blue contact lenses, leather jackets which were her brother's, and I did the whole 'mysterious and rude vibes thing'"

Now, everyone was quiet. So that's what it feels like to be the center of attraction, Stephen thought.

"It started as a simple silly, playful dare. No harm done, people assuming stuff about me, but in reality, it changed things after a while."

With guilt, he glanced at Alisha but found himself surprised when she looked at him calmly, rather than with anger or confusion. He stole a quick glance at Piper, who glowered at him, pointing to her phone.

Pick up the phone. The message was clear.

He shook his head. No.

"What started as a silly dare, turned into a big mountain of lies. The real me," he gestured to himself and continued. "Is this. I don't have blue eyes, my hair is not platinum, and I certainly don't own expensive jackets."

Everyone was staring at him. Stephen adjusted his glasses, staring back at everyone. A myriad of expressions passed over everyone's faces. For all this trouble, at least they would remember this high school drama.

"I know everything sounds silly and idiotic but I am sure everyone has played truth or dare at one point, so yeah, this was my attempt at a dare, just a bit far too stretched," he laughed nervously when a wary expression came over everyone's face.

"As for people wondering about my past, it's not much. I have loving parents and a small brother. By the way, my mom thought I was going depression or a teenage rebel phase when I dressed up like that." Some let out a chuckle.

"I don't like football, and for guys wondering why I didn't get involved with girls," he took a deep breath and said. "I have a girlfriend."

The moment he told this, he could see that he had gathered everyone's attention. Someone uttered What the Fuck.

Ah, the fodder he was providing to people who liked to gossip.

"My girlfriend dared me to pretend to be a bad boy for a month, and she arranged everything- hair color, lenses, and jackets. Sounds ridiculous? I know, but, it's true."

He could feel the curious gazes on him. Little did they know that he would not mention Piper's name. It was one of the reasons why Stephen hadn't informed Piper of his intentions. She would have taken the brunt of the action, and he did not want that.

"I won't say her name, but I love her. And, that's the reason why I was not getting involved in relationships with other people."

"What's her name?" Someone asked from the back.

"Is she studying in our school?" Another question followed.

Slowly, a chain of questions started, erupting in a loud cacophony of whispers and murmuring. Stephen averted his eyes from his friends who glared at him and looked at Piper. The forlorn on her face tugged at his heart. He didn't want Piper's name to get dragged into the issue.

"I am sorry for lying to everyone." Glancing at Alisha, he added. "If I hurt you, I am sorry. That's all I can say."

"But, I learned one thing. People are quick to judge. I can count people on my fingers who brushed me as rude without talking to me because apparently bad boys are rude," it wasn't a jab at anyone, but he had to say. "All I did was change my appearance, and people reacted to me differently. I don't know how any one of you can judge someone based on looks. Just..think about it."

He started walking away from the stage, ready to accept the situation. Stephen hadn't taken more than five steps when he heard Piper shout.

"I am his girlfriend!"

***
[A/N] - i know the update was late, sorry for that. life happened haha. anyway, enjoy the chapter and let me know your views xd i will try to being the next update within the next week. Let's see what happens.
-aalaa