16. knock knock

STEPHEN DIDN'T like group projects. Or a pair project unless it was with Piper.

He was a procrastinator, a partial procrastinator who worked when he wanted to if his mood was into it. Put him under pressure, and his work was magic.

Stephen doubted if he could tell this to Alisha who was chattering about the project. With the way she was ordering him around, he was fighting it hard to snap at her.

"-So, are you fine with it?" he caught the end, unable to respond to her.

"Uhmm, yes, sure, I agree with you," he replied absently, looking at his phone.

Piper - Let's make Netflix plans tonight. I am bored.

Stephen - Done :-) I will bring some snacks.

Alisha snapped her fingers in front of him. "Are you even listening to me? At least make an effort to be invested in this project."

"I will do my part, you do your part," Stephen replied, standing up and taking his backpack. "I am very much capable of doing good work. It's not like I am happy about us doing it together."

"Neither am I," she huffed out, taking her books from the library table. "If I lose even a mark because of you, then-"

"Then, you can't do much," he said with a crooked smile, and waved. "Have a good day."

***

"Have you ever thought about getting a lip ring?"

Stephen carefully turned his head to stare at Piper, who was snuggled cozily at his side. "A lip ring?"

"Yes!" She shifted, her knees coming on either side of his hip. "It looks sexy."

"I don't think it will look good on me," Stephen inwardly winced at the thought. Body piercings of any kind terrified him.

"Do you want to get it?" Stephen asked Piper, his hand tight on her waist. Unable to resist, he inclined his face forward, inhaling the sweet scent of her jasmine perfume. Placing a small kiss at the crook of her neck, he whispered. "It will look pretty on you."

"Not hot?" Piper asked with a playful smile, playing with the top button of his old shirt.

"Whatever you say, Piper. Hot pretty, beautiful," he mumbled, and kissed her. A small kiss on her jaw- upwards, and upwards-lips touching lips-tongues mingling-heaving breaths-moving hands. So lost in passion were they that the ring of a doorbell sounded from an alternate reality.

With no one at home, Stephen was bound to open the door. Closing his eyes, he touched his forehead with hers, waiting for another bell.

When no bell rang, he huffed out a frustrated sigh. "I don't know how people ring the bell and then run off."

"Stephen, is this your house?"

The voice. Piper had come to the same recognition if he went by the expression on her face.

"Hello, is anyone there?"

Piper immediately stood up, adjusting her top to a proper place. Stephen just sat, unable to comprehend what was going on.

"Stephen, what should I do?" Piper asked wide eyes, tying up her hair in a messy bun. "What is Alisha doing here?"

"I have absolutely no idea. Zero, nope, nada," Stephen scrambled back to his feet, looking around to see where Piper could hide. The doorbell kept ringing until it got persistent.

"I am coming, wait a second!" he shouted back. Taking Piper's hand, he made a dash to his room, wincing when something his toe.

Ignoring the pain, he said to her. "You be here. I don't even know how she got my address."

Piper pushed him on his shoulder. "Go or else with the way Alisha is ringing, she will break the doorbell."

Before Stephen could voice out his question, Piper responded. "I'll be fine. Now, go."

His lips touched her cheek barely when he ran towards the door. Taking a deep breath, he relaxed his features, withholding his anxiety and ignoring the fast beats of his heart.

Christ, what was his life now? Stephen thought, and opened the door.

"Are you deaf?" Alisha asked as soon as Stephen opened the door. Without waiting, she entered inside, placing her coat on the couch.

"First of all, how did you get my address. Secondly, what are you doing here?"

A bewildered expression on her face, Alisha turned around, sneering at him. "You told me I could come to your house to discuss the project today in the library."

Well, great. That's what she was talking about. Stephen sighed and closed his eyes, taking a deep breath.

"-And, as for the address, I asked Nick because I didn't have your phone number."

He garbled something in response, hating that Piper was locked in his room. During the start, the dare sounded a silly thing, something fun and terrifying, but now, all these lies and hiding was irritating him.

"Will you snap from whatever you are thinking? We need to start the assignment."

"Yeah, we can."

Alisha inclined ahead, staring at him, her mouth slightly open as she placed a hand on her chin. Stephen involuntary retreated, raising up his hands."Why are you staring at me?"

"You are wearing the same hoodie as that of Piper."

Stephen huffed out a little laugh, faking a surprised reaction. "You are kidding me."

"No, she wore precisely the same one to college today. If I think of it now-" Alisha squinted her eyes."The same size too." Stephen couldn't help but hear the slight curiosity in her voice.

"Many people own the same thing. Doesn't have to mean something." Stephen shrugged, daring Alisha to contradict the statement.

"Oh, please. I don't want to fight now." She took out her book from the bag. "Maybe, she has a secret boyfriend," Alisha murmured to herself, but Stephen heard her.

The absolute truth. Stephen thought, going back to do the assignment.

***

How are you doing, lovely people? The update was sorta late, and i think the updates won't be any faster for some time. I am not satisfied with this chapter, but this will give way to other chapters so *shrug* Update will be once is nine days, i guess? I have projects, my vacation got postponed, unexpected guests, and life.

Thank you all for reading, and leaving such lovely comments!