18. graveyard hugs and tears

THE ATMOSPHERE AROUND the graveyard matched Stephen's feelings.

Everything was gloomy, the air holding a melancholic tune and the voice of silent tears always undid him. It reminded him that no matter what happened, death was inevitable.

If Stephen had a choice, he wouldn't step into a graveyard but, he did it, for Piper.

The same Piper who was laying down her father's favorite flowers on the grave, and simultaneously talking to him.

There had a been a point in the past where she couldn't have spoken a word without shedding tears and sobs which heaved her chest. Somewhere along the line of three years, she had accepted that and now talked to her father as if he was present.

Leaving Piper alone in her solace for a minute, he started roaming around reading the tombstones, the same sinking feeling of impediment catching up to him. After a few seconds of hesitation, he decided to walk outside and wait for Piper. Putting his hands in his pockets, he walked slowly but, halted his steps at the sight he saw.

From what he could see with his poor eyesight, there was a person beside a grave, sprawled on the ground.

Sprawled, and facing the sky.

Unable to believe, he rubbed his eyes and cursed himself again for forgetting his glasses. Curious, he stepped forward, taking a few seconds to stare at the person. In a corner of his mind, he knew it was inappropriate but, it wasn't every day a person was lying on the ground at a graveyard.

Hiccups, and cries. That's all Stephen heard. Before he could stop himself, he spoke out loud enough for the person to catch his voice.

"Hey, are you okay?"

The person didn't reply, and that's when Stephen panicked. What if the person fainted or committed suicide in grief?

He thought of calling Piper but didn't want to disturb her. After a moment of conflict, he decided to help the person out and took a few steps forward. His eyes widened in shock, mouth hanging open as he stared at the person lying on the ground, with her eyes close.

"Alisha, is that you?"

Instead of responding, she started to cry harder. Stephen stood still unable to understand anything. She was crying in earnest now, her voice resonating. Stephen gulped and looked around, seemingly shocked for a minute. Either he had to get Piper who was at the other corner or console her himself.

It didn't help that their phones were locked away in the car borrowed from Piper's mom.

"Alisha." He called out in a soft coaxing voice which he used when his kid brother was hurt. She didn't respond. He looked at the tombstone, which read Maria Louisa.

Making a last minute decision, he sat down on his knees, softly nudging her leg with his hand. "Alisha, get up. You cannot lie down like that."

"I will do whatever I want to do near my mother's grave. Go away," she shouted angrily wiping away her tears, looking embarrassed.

Stephen did want to run away and call Piper. She would be a better help in this case, but after seeing Alisha, he decided not to leave her alone. To put it bluntly, if her expression and posture were any indication. Alisha was having a breakdown.

"Alisha." Stephen called out, inching closer to her. She was sitting now, her knees closer to her chest, her face full of tears.

"I miss her a lot, Stephen. I don't know what to do."

Stephen swallowed empty air. He awkwardly patted her shoulder and said. "You cannot do anything about it. It's just how it was supposed to be." He told the same words Piper's grandmother had repeated to Piper after learning Piper's father had passed away.

"It's not fair," Alisha murmured, her voice croaky.

"It's not," he agreed softly.

A minute had passed when he felt Alisha hugging him. Stephen froze, his eyes wide as she tucked her head in his neck. "Thank you so much, Stephen, for being here." Her voice was muffled by the jacket he wore.

Unable to respond, he patted her arm and stiffly said. "You are welcome."

Coming to realization, Alisha retreated back, wiping away the tears from her face. Stephen stood up, embarrassed.

"Stephen!" He heard Piper call out, and smiled in relief when he saw her. A look of concern came over her, dimming the smile on her face.

Piper rushed towards Alisha, hugging her. "What happened to you?"

"I will tell you later. What are you doing here with Stephen?"

Even with the tears, her suspicion was top notch. Stephen thought.

"I wanted to visit my father's grave. I saw Stephen so hitched up a ride with him. He can drop you too. Come with us."

With that they started walking, Piper and Alisha forward, Stephen behind them, who brushed his hand along with Piper's at every chance he got.

***

Hey! I am done with exams YAY. I have vacations right now, so I am lazing around. This chapter was a bit weird, huh? I am not sure how I feel about this chapter. (Apologies for all the mistakes if any. Feel free to point them out).The story is supposed to be short, without giving much insight so I hope you are enjoying the story. I will try to update faster. Around 10-12 more chapters are left ;) That being said, thank you for being supportive. Seriously, thank you lovely people :)