23. messy feelings

THE SCHOOL BUZZED with excitement for the party in the upcoming week. Teachers held back classes to let the students decorate and students being students didn't waste an opportunity like that to free themselves.

It shocked Piper how interested students became when the announcement of teachers not being present for the whole time was announced. Every corner looked colorful with various crafts and decoration pieces. Teachers were cooperative, hence students, who hadn't bothered, earlier took a keen interest.

"I am going to shopping. Do you want to come?"

Piper turned around at the question, staring at Alisha. "Shopping with me?"

Alisha linked her arm with Piper's, grinning at her. "Yes, with you. I don't have anyone to go with," she tilted her head in Piper's direction and said in a serious tone. "You have to come."

Piper shrugged, a smile tugging on her face at the prospect of shopping. "Who am I to deny shopping time with a friend. Let's go."

***

"If I spend two-fifty dollars on my clothing, I will get a stroke," Piper said as she scanned the dresses on the shelf, unable to find the one dress to her satisfaction.

"I will keep thinking about it all night, and get depressed if I spend that much money," Alisha agreed, holding a burgundy color wrap dress in her hand. "How's this one?"

"Nice," Piper said, then added. "I like the blue one better, though."

"The party better be good," Alisha said and chose the blue one. "I am trusting your choice. What about you? Aren't you going to buy something?"

"I have too many dresses at home, so I am fine with it. And, the party is not a big one, in my opinion."

Alisha rubbed her hands together, a wicked grin on her face. "Well, I have a surprise planned for that day."

***

Surprise. The thought bothered Piper even though it was none of her business. Giving in the urge, Piper asked the question, treading the conversation with hesitant steps. "What exactly do you have in mind, Alisha?" To lighten the atmosphere, she further added. "Seduce someone?" How lame of me, Piper mused at that question.

To her shock, Alisha's eyes went wide open, her mouth opened in shock, then she laughed. "Why do you think that?"

"I don't know. I guessed." Taking a bite of her donut, Piper asked again. "So, you are planning to surprise someone."

Alisha remained quiet. Worried that Piper had crossed a border, she didn't repeat the question.

"I like Stephen," Alisha murmured quietly, staring straight into Piper's eyes. "I don't know how to feel about that."

Even though Piper had got the inclination some days back, it made her pulse vibrate within her skin. In her sane mind, it was not Alisha's fault. No one had control over their feelings but, Piper and Stephen had lied about their relationship. It certainly made things easier for Alisha to feel.

They had decided to tell the truth about their relationship when the upcoming party got over. A week away from the party, the decision seemed logical, and she hadn't thought much about the consequences. After all, what possibly could happen in a week?

She couldn't decide whether to hit her head on the table or start crying then and there itself.

"Say something, Piper."

"I don't think he is interested in dating."

Alisha scowled, annoyance clear in her voice when she spoke. "What I feel is for me, Piper. I am not looking for a permanent thing. I want to share my feelings with him. If Stephen is interested, that's great and if not, then let's see."

Piper struggled to say something. Her throat clogged up at the thought of seeing anyone with Stephen. The whole fiasco was too far now, and she didn't know how to rewind everything back into its place. She tried another subtle way to back her off.

"Alisha, you cannot pressurise him."

"Did you listen to anything I said? I won't force him, for christ's sake. I will tell him about my feelings. And, done. That's all."

"It's not easy to get past our feelings." And, you will be heartbroken. Piper thought.

"Everything will go smoothly. Don't worry about me," Alisha placed a hand over Piper's. "I am lucky to have a friend like you, who cares about me enough to warn me."

Piper didn't have the courage to tell her at the moment that the fear for her own love and feelings made her speak, not their friendship. Ashamed and guilty, she excused herself to the washroom and promptly burst into tears.

Her life couldn't get any messier.

***

Author's note. Hello, people! A huge thank you to everyone. The Role Switch reached 3k reads! I honestly didn't expect that, so it was a pleasant surprise. Thank you to each and every single reader, to the readers who voted (close to 500 votes yay), and commented-thank you lovelies <3

As for this and the upcoming next chapter, they will be short. The story is nearing it's end and I cannot wait to see how you guys react to the upcoming chapters. My exams are up after two weeks so the updates might be slow, but I will try my best. That said, stay tuned and enjoy the chapter.