9. relationships

PIPER CAREFULLY unwrapped the foil to eat the sandwich her mom had prepared. With one huge bite, she let out a happy sound. "I love chicken sandwiches."

Alisha, who sat across her waved the granola bar. "All I am eating is an assemblage of dry fruits with orange juice. Not fair," she grumbled, a thing she always did. Piper had befriended Alisha on her first day. They shared some classes together, and after realising their common interest in books-the friendship clicked off.

Before Piper could retort to that-(she loved granola bars), her eyes fell on Stephen who had just entered. It was uncanny how looks could make a person look so different from the usual. Piper thought. She saw a few people staring at him curiously. It helped that he was in a bad mood, the expression clear on his face. He casually glanced around, and Piper tried to tamp down her smile when he rested his eyes on her.

"I don't like that guy at all."

Piper turned to look at Alisha, the words not making sense. "Ah, which guy?"

"The one with platinum hair." She pointed a finger in his direction. "He is rude."

Piper schooled her expressions feigning confusion but inside, she was curious. "What did he do? He seemed nice to me."

"Two days back, we dashed, alright. That guy was on the phone, so it was his fault. He didn't even apologise! It was the first day for god's sake. No need to show your cockiness to the world." Alisha spat out, anger evident on her face.

Piper tried to reason with her. "It's not a huge issue. Maybe he was..distracted. You can't judge him based on the small scene. Happens with everyone."

"I am not judging him," she spat out, brushing her bangs away from her face. "I don't like when people are rude."

Exactly at that minute, Stephen strolled towards them, his hands in his pockets. Piper widened her eyes wondering what he was up to when he extended his hand towards Piper which held a ring. "I think this is yours? I was walking by and saw it near your locker." He asked, a small grin on his face.

It was hers. Amidst the hurry yesterday night, Piper had handed him the ring and forgot to retrieve it back.

"Oh, it's not mine. Maybe your girlfriend's?" Piper replied sweetly, playing along.

Stephen cleared his throat, the smirk gone. He ran a hand through his hair and shrugged. "I don't do relationships."

Piper stifled a laugh at his statement, coughing to cover up herself. He sure was getting an A for carrying out the whole bad boy cliche. If only people knew he was in a relationship with her since they were fifteen.

"Of course, you wouldn't. I know a guy like you can't be committed to anything," As Alisha said the words, Stephen's eyes widened, his mouth slack. From his expression, Piper saw that Stephen wanted to deny Alisha, but he huffed out a breath and placed the ring back in his pocket.

"I am too good to have a girlfriend." Stephen threw a last glance at Piper and winked. WINKED. Her heart fluttered, with that rare display of affection in public from his side. With that, he walked away, not before glancing over his shoulder at them. At the moment, Piper's phone pinged.

Stephen : Hello, girlfriend.

A corny move-but, Piper grinned. Her sweet, sweet Stephen.

"Why are you grinning?" Piper heard Alisha ask as her fingers typed out a reply to Stephen.

Piper : Hello, boyfriend.

"Oh, umm nothing. What are you thinking? Your nose is all scrunched up."

"Was Stephen flirting with you?" Alisha said, a look of disbelief on her face.

"No, why would you say so?"

"Just the way he looked at you. He winked-"

With a nervous laugh, Piper rolled her eyes. "What an absurd thing to say. Stephen, and me? No way."

No way Alisha could have guessed that with a small interaction. Piper drummed her fingers on her table, saying something she never imagined would relate to Stephen. "In fact, I don't like him at all."

"For a minute, it looked like you were looking at him."

"Looking at him? What does that even mean?"

"Looking." Alisha air quoted the word, and continued. "You fancy him or something?"

Piper cleared her throat. "You sure have an overactive imagination."

"Hmm." With that Alisha got back to her granola bar, and Piper to her sandwich, sneakily texting Stephen with the other hand.

***

Hello, people! I am back!! Thank you, everyone for being supportive, and leaving such wonderful comments. The updates will be regular (hopefully) from now on. Hope you are enjoying the story! The chapters are a bit slow, but the drama will start. Soon. ;-P)