21. something is happening

ONE MONTH had passed, and life was stagnant.

"Piper, why do you keep sighing like an old lady?" Stephen asked in a sleepy voice, leaning closer to her. She turned around, and snuggled closer to him, resting her cheek on his chest. She could hear the dull thud of his heartbeats, numbing Piper to a hazy state.

"I was thinking," Piper said, closing her eyes.

"About what?" He sounded half asleep, even though his hand was moving in her hair with a soft caress. Piper doubted he could remember any of this tomorrow.

"No one at the school knows about our relationship."

Stephen groaned, putting a hand over his eyes. "Don't remind me that."

"But, Stephen-"

"No, not now-"

"Stephen-"

"I don't want to spoil the moment," Stephen said, turning around and fully enveloping Piper in his embrace. "We will talk about it tomorrow. I promise," he added, tucking his head in the crook of her neck. Piper lay still, reeling in the soft sounds of his breathing, and placed her hand in his hair.

Deep breaths, Piper. She repeated to herself three times, basking in the warm presence of his bare chest and fell asleep.

***

"Why are you staring out of the window, Alisha?" Piper asked, irritated, already knowing the answer.

"Oh, nothing. You told Stephen was coming too, so I am checking out."

They were all seated in Piper's house; eight of her classmates. The group wasn't a tight-knit one but, she enjoyed inviting people to her house.

Unlike Stephen, who thought guests were a boon to the society.

Especially, now that the tiny bit of information about Stephen being her neighbor was out, it made things easier.

"It's bad enough that we are paired with seniors in preparation for the party next week, and then you guys," Piper pointed her finger at them, who were grinning ear to ear at her mini rant. "Are not cooperating with me!"

Their school, Piper decided was not being conventional in handing over the responsibility to a mere bunch of juniors. Every year, their school planned a huge party, in celebration of the birthday of their Principal, which included students from every batch.

The party wasn't necessarily a formal event, more like an informal event, a homecoming party sorts. If rumors were true, the staff left the students after an hour on their own, resulting in chaos.

They had divided the tasks between the seniors and juniors, splitting the work. While most of them were cooperative, the awkwardness still lingered.

It didn't help that the juniors were barely interested in organising, including her. It certainly didn't help that Piper was appointed the head in the planning. The responsibility thoroughly sucked.

Just when she was about to repeat the question to Alisha, Stephen burst through the door. "Sorry for being late!"

Piper heaved a sigh of relief at the sight of Stephen. Every time she laid her eyes on him, the sense of her happiness heightened to a peak, leaving an emptiness in it's awake in his absence. When people heard that she loved a boy at a tender age of hers, most of them brushed it off as an infatuation, and young love but, they didn't understand.

They just didn't.

Because the month of his forfeit was officially up, his hair was back to the natural color, no more leather jackets, and sassy attitude.

Except for the little information that she was his girlfriend. And, they had hidden it well.

Being practical, them secretly dating was not a huge issue. Many students did it, and it was not uncommon in high school. The fact that they had lied throughout a month- that ate her up with guilt. If only they could-

"What are you thinking?" Stephen asked, bumping his hand with hers. Piper looked and him and shrugged. "Later, I will tell you. Now, we have to plan what to do at the party."

"I hate organizing," Stephen said, and before Piper could retort, he continued with a grin. "But, I will help. Anything for you."

"Cheesy."

***

Most of the things had been sorted out (throw in games and gossip during the planning). It was late at night, and Alisha was waiting for her father to pick her up.

Piper and Alisha were alone, and for the most part of the night, Piper's mother had been in her room, not wanting to disturb them. As for Stephen, the window was always open for him to climb in later at night.

Alisha was sitting on the counter, eating the leftover homemade chicken quesadillas. Piper went and sat beside her, bumping her shoulder. "Leave one for me."

"You do know that your mom can make it again anytime, right? My dad is a good cook but, he can't make this," she said, waving a quesadilla in Piper's face. "This is all for me."

"Fine, you win," Piper said, and hummed to herself, debating the cons and pros of the question she was about to ask. Coming to a decision, she spoke.

"Stephen is a nice guy, right?"

"Yeah, he is."

"And, helpful too."

"Definitely. I got an A grade last month when I was paired up with him."

During the last month, Stephen and Alisha had become acquaintances (that's what Stephen said) but, Piper doubted that's all Alisha felt. Even though the thought was terrifying, Piper could Alisha developing feelings for him. It was in the way she glanced a little longer at him or didn't complain whenever he was around.

It did nothing to ease the guilt.

"I was wondering if he has a girlfriend," Piper said casually to see her reaction. Alisha stopped eating, looking at Piper. "No way, does he?"

"I don't know. It could be. Many people aren't open about their relationship."

Including myself.

When Alisha didn't say anything, Piper further provoked her. "Do you like him, Alisha?"

"Does it matter to you?" Alisha asked, staring at Piper with a curious expression.

It mattered, a lot. But Piper didn't say it.

"You should be sure of your feelings. If you like Stephen, then, I-"

"I?" Alisha asked, leaning closer. "I, what?"

Say the truth, her inner voice said. It would end everything, and they would be out of the childish mess. No more lying, and no guilt nagging.

Before she could gather the guts to spill the details, a car horn interrupted them. Alisha stood up. "That's my dad. I will go now."

Piper collapsed on the couch, placing her head in her hands. Alisha liked Stephen, at least that's what Piper believed. Her boyfriend, Stephen. Even she could admit to herself that it was their fault from the first place.

But now, things were out of hand.

And, she had to do something.

***