5. first impressions

AFTER A GLANCE at her wristwatch, Piper squinted her eyes as the sunlight glared at her. As the time went by, the agitation in her pulsed heavily. Piper firmly believed in first impressions, and first appearance. Hence, her favorite combo-skinny black jeans with converses on her feet made her legs look long, and the pinstriped t-shirt with the blue denim jacket. All in all, the equal amount of excitement and nervousness burst in Piper for her new day at the school.

Except, Stephen hadn't shown up, yet.

Blowing a huff of breath, she took out her phone, her finger poised over the screen when Stephen's voice greeted her.

"I think my mom just went into a shock."

Piper turned around, and what she saw made her eyes wide, all previous agitation dropped.

Stephen looked an entirely different boy. Appearances are deceptive; Piper thought as she openly ran her eyes over his figure. All this while, she was used to seeing Stephen with his specs, flannel shirts which were never buttoned up at the sleeves, black hair flopped against the forehead and a bored expression on his face.

Now, as she stared at him, her breath hitched. The Dolce and Gabbana bomber jacket which Stephen had borrowed from Reece hugged his torso in perfect proportions. A glint of sunlight fell over his present platinum hair, and the lack of specs brought out his blue lens which they had purchased with the aid of Reece.

All in all, Stephen looked changed. Different. Just like a perfect bad boy except for the nervous expression on his face.

"Holy shit, are you boyfriend?" She saw his face fall at her words. He dropped his hands to the sides. "I hate this. My mom shrieked when she saw me."

"You look dashing, sexy, hot, Stephen." Piper swooned dramatically with her hands, fanning her face. Then, she moved forward and kissed him squarely on his lips.

"But I don't look like myself."

Not the one with words, Piper stepped forwards and looped her hands around his neck, her fingers brushing his hair. "You look different, good different. Believe me." 

Stephen who was about to level his specs as a habit, cursed when there was nothing in its place. "I hope you don't fall in love with the new Stephen with the new looks." He shrugged and ran a hand through his hair.

"If it warms your heart, I do miss your old looks."

Stephen smiled, the little smile which always left her flustered. Shaking his head slowly, he caught Piper by her belt loops, inching her forward. "Let's go and seize the day."

Piper shook her head. "We can't go together."

Stephen raised an eyebrow, his mouth tilting up to a side. "Why not? I promise you I won't let you fall from the bike. Reece taught me well. I just had to polish my-"

"We are not boyfriend and girlfriend in the school, so if anyone sees us together, they will get an idea."

"But-"

"And, I seriously don't want to give a lame reason and tell you are my brother or something."

His shoulder slouched. "I guess you are going alone by train, then."

"Yeah, I am," Piper muttered in a gloomy tone. One of the moments she looked forward in her day was traveling with Stephen.

 A mean debater, he enjoyed listening to different views and contradicting them which often angered Piper. Also an enthusiastic talker- when he wanted, they talked about everything, jumping from one topic to another, and mostly, they ended up with Piper talking his ear off and Stephen listening.

They often struck a topic, mostly new discoveries, and had a detailed discussion on it. Piper and Stephen also made playlists, their favorite hobby- with a common theme- rating each other on it and then listening to the songs through the journey, one earphone tucked in her ear and the other one in Stephen's.

"Now you look sad,"

Feeling his hand in her palm, Piper immediately tightened her hold. Her thumb traced soothing circles over his palm. Stephen told hold of her wrist and kissed her hand. Taking out a small sticky note from his back pocket, he put it in her back pocket.

"Read this when you are alone." With that, Stephen kissed her- just a tease of his tongue which left her breathless and moved back- a small kiss on her jaw.

"Meet you at the school."

Afterward, in the cocoon of the train, Piper took out the note and read it.

We met when we were ten, and I think I was little in love with you;)

Suffice to say, Piper's face broke into an obstinate grin, the power of young love powerful enough to make a bubble of happiness around her.

***