6. acquaintances

TO SAY EVERYONE  bore a confused expression on their face would be an understatement. Including Stephen, everyone looked lost, and it didn't help that seniors were glancing at them. To his horror, he also found people staring at him. Stephen didn't need a genius to figure out that the expensive bomber jacket was being checked out- with interest and for some, with clear disdain on their faces already.

Stephen scanned the surroundings as he searched for a mop of curly black hair. Piper should have reached by now. They had calculated the time to get to the school by train two days back. Twenty minutes down, she should have reached by now. While he waited for Piper, his mind went through the talking ethics Piper had taught him. The bad boy talking ethics. Stephen snickered as he thought of the memory.

Don't sound too eager.

You have to be rude, don't be too polite.

Appear reckless and cocky.

Make sure you give them the mysterious pasts vibes.

The backpack slung over his shoulder loosely as his fingers typed out a message to Piper. Engrossed in texting, he didn't see the girl coming in his direction, resulting in a dash. With a little wince, Stephen looked at the girl. Her heavy breaths were a sign of exertion, and with a dirty glance at him, she bent down to pick up her belongings. Like an impulsion, an apology was on the tip of his tongue when a ping of message distracted him.

Piper - DON'T DO THE GENTLEMAN THING. Don't apologise. Act like a jerk. Part of your forfeit:)

When Stephen raised his head up, he saw Piper, squinting her eyes at him.

Guilt swept him as he saw the girl fussing and picking what seemed like to be lots and lots of papers and a binder book. Stephen gave a dull nod to Piper who raised a thumb in response. The girl stood up, blocking his view of Piper. She had her hands fisted up near her hips; her eyes narrowed at him.

"Can't you see and walk?" Her jaw ticked when she said the words. Anger on her face, she stuffed her belongings into her bag, muttering something to herself. After an internal conflict, Stephen decided not to answer and walked away, their shoulders accidentally brushing against each other.

Relieved that Piper had come, he took a sigh of content. They were students everywhere- asking for directions, fumbling, staring and as dreadful as it was to admit, many were still watching him.

"Look, some girls are checking you out," Piper whispered as she came and stood by his side, but not close enough to catch attention.

"Once they know I have a girlfriend, they won't."

"I am giving them a one month pass to ogle you." Glancing left and right, Piper shrugged and dropped a chaste kiss on his lips. "Bye, dear, Stephen."

"Piper! What's the use of this whole dare if you are kissing me in front of-" Stephen stopped when he saw Piper walking away. "Never mind, you went away," Stephen mumbled to himself.

***

The girl with whom Stephen had dashed in the hallway, had her eyes on him. Stephen pretended not to see her as he put his things in his locker. To his horror, the girl had her locker beside him. She shut the locker with a huge bang, and Stephen tried not to flinch at the sound.

"Hey, you." Stephen turned around slowly at the voice, coming face to face with a boy who stood at an equal height with him.

"Yes, Me," Stephen replied, his tone careful,

The boy raised an eyebrow at the answer. "Are you a freshman?"

"Why does it matter?"

The boy sighed, running a hand over buzzed hair. "Damn, you are cocky. Anyway, I need your," he paused, hesitating but continued. "Help."

Stephen tilted his head to the side and saw that everyone was watching them, including the girl. "What do you need?"

"You up for a challenge?"

***

Hello, people! Are you enjoying the story? I am having fun writing this, and I hope you guys are having fun reading the story.

A little self promotion. This is my new story. Liquid Thorns.

https://www.wattpad.com/story/94891429-liquid-thorns.

Feel free to check it out ;)