17. all blurry and lies

"I WENT TO Stephen's house yesterday."

"Why? Isn't he your enemy?" Piper asked, knowing well enough the reason behind her visit.

Alisha scoffed and shook her head. "He is not my enemy," she sighed. "Stephen irritates me, that's all. I think he's like one of those persons you can't help but dislike."

"Makes sense." Piper sipped her coffee, and pointed at the cup on Alisha's side of the table, untouched. "Why aren't you drinking?"

A shy smile surfaced on her face. The look wasn't a common one on her face. "Spill, Alisha."

"I don't drink coffee," she said, as a matter of fact, smiling slightly.

"Blasphemous," Piper quipped but remembered that Stephen wasn't a fan of coffee too. "Actually, no. I totally believe that. I know someone who doesn't drink coffee."

"That's a rarity," Alisha chuckled. "Anyway, so I went to Stephen's house. And, you know what happened?" she asked in an excited voice, piquing up Piper's curiosity.

"What?"

"First of all, he took ages to open the door. I could hear him running around. Who knows maybe he was naked?" She let out a small laugh. "I think he is hiding something," Alisha said smugly, crossing her hands over her chest.

"Why?" Piper asked, thinking back to yesterday's night. She wished she could have eavesdropped but immediately hitting on Stephen's bed had lulled her to sleep.

"I am not exactly sure," Alisha said and added. "But, he was edgy. And, always kept glancing at a door. You know.. like," she flicked her finger in the air, her voice an octave higher when she spoke. "Hiding a secret! That's what I wanted to say."

"That's creepy. Were you staring at him the entire time to notice that?" Piper asked, her jaw slack as a pink flush glazed Alisha's cheeks.

"No! I was not!"

"Why the hell are you blushing?"

"I don't know! What I meant was that Stephen sounded different yesterday. I think."

"Different? What is that supposed to mean?"

"I can't put my finger on it but, he was polite?" she stated that as a question, unsure. "And, he was wearing glasses. I knew his eyes weren't blue. Such a show of, that guy." She shook her head ruefully. "I was surprised, to be frank. He is good at planning. I half expected him to get drunk and abandon the assignment."

Piper scowled, an immediate need to defend Stephen coming over her. "He's not that bad."

"Well, shit Sherlock, what a girl supposed to do when he reminds you of your ex?" Alisha asked in a sarcastic tone.

"Ex-boyfriend? What's that suppose to do with Stephen?"

"I don't know! He just reminds me of my ex-boyfriend."

"You are repeating the same thing again, Alisha."

"The first day when I met my ex, we dashed against each other and he didn't even stop to apologize. That triggered something in me, so sue me if I don't like Stephen much."

"You are judging him based on looks, aren't you? I am sure he is not like your ex. Stephen is a nice guy."

"You sound like you have a crush on him or something."

"What? No, no way. Why do you say that?"

"You are always defending him."

"Ha, no. With the way you keep changing your opinion about Stephen, I think you warmed up to him yesterday but are denying it."

"I am not! I just said Stephen sounded different yesterday. That's all. Now, will you please stop talking about him. Forget about that. I am planning to keep a pajama party tomorrow. You in?"

"Of course!" Piper grinned. "Nothing is better in the world than the feel of pajamas."

Piper stuck out her hand, and Alisha tapped on it. After finishing their respective the beverages, Piper stood up to leave but halted her steps when Alisha shouted. "Hey, Piper. I forgot to tell you something."

Piper frowned. "Yeah?"

"I saw this lying around his house," Alisha brought up her hand, and from the looks of it, it was a childhood photo of hers and Stephen's.

"What the fuck, Alisha? You cannot take someone's picture with you." Piper snapped, snatching the photo from Alisha's hand. It was not surprising that Piper was almost unrecognizable in the photo. Afro hair, braces, arm slung around Stephen's shoulder who also had braces and specs.With melted ice-creams in their hand, they looked liked any other kids, with huge toothy smiles on their faces. Other people wouldn't understand the sentiments the blurry picture held for them. It was one of those days when a kid had teased them for their looks, resulting in tears in Stephen's eyes. Piper had taken her pocket money and bought him an ice cream, and the result was a teary smile captured by her mother with a camera.

"Hey! I just wanted to tease him a bit. Then I will return it back."

Without answering, Piper slid the photo into her bag. All the while Alisha groaned saying how she was interrupting her plans.

"What exactly were your plans?"

"Nothing. " Alisha sputtered, causing Piper to narrow her eyes.

"Alisha."

"I was going to tease him. That's all. I wasn't going to show it to others. Maybe one or two."

"You cannot do that!" Piper shouted angrily, hating the idea of embarrassing Stephen. If there was anything she couldn't tolerate, it was other people hurting Stephen. Most people wouldn't agree, but Stephen was an anxious guy. He took matters to his heart, and Piper didn't want him to become a laughing stock in the school.

"Why not?" Alisha asked with accusation in her voice. "Now, I seriously think you like him."

"I will help you plan out a prank on him, okay. Not with the photo. It looks personal."

Alisha muttered under her breath but finally gave in. Satisfied, Piper walked away, the photo tucked in her bag, her heart thudding as she thought about the lie they had carved in the school.

***

I was listening to Spanish songs while writing this. (they are a+++) Plus, comments are most welcome because i need your opinions so keep them coming;)

have a lovely day, loves.