11. a fall everywhere

PIPER GASPED.

The jacket fell from hand as she took the grim expression on Stephen's face. Everyone around her had dropped to whispering- shock evident in their voices.

A cut lip, bruise around his right eye, an angry scar on his forearm where his sleeves are raised up, that's how Stephen strolled towards their lockers.

Holding her action at bay, Piper concentrated on her breathing and stole a long glance at Stephen. Hair mussed up at every angle- that's how Stephen looked when he was nervous, a result of endless running of his hands in his hair.

"What the hell happened?" Someone asked from behind, voicing out Piper's question.

"Don't ask," He said, anger evident in his voice.

"I am sure he is into underground fighting," Alisha said in a sardonic tone. Piper wanted nothing more than to defend and jump to Stephen's side, ask him a million questions- buy his favorite chocolate, and kiss the hell out of him.

Unable to control herself, Piper went forward and kept her hand on Stephen's arm. "Are you fine, Stephen?"

"Piper!" Alisha yelled, her voice full of disbelief. "Nothing happened. Just a small bruise!"

Stephen blinked, and something crossed over his features. It was clear that he wanted to talk to her, but he cleared his throat. "Ah, I am fine."

Then, he pressed his finger on the first button of his shirt. Piper managed a small grin at his gesture. She pressed her thumb on her shirt button, understanding the signal they had used since childhood.

Okay, let's meet when we are alone.

***

They didn't get any time alone. Everywhere Piper went by, Alisha or Natalie, her other friend followed Piper, and when she was alone, Stephen was with his bunch of friends.

If there was any chance, it was now, Piper thought. She slowed her steps, deliberately letting Alisha take the lead to their biology class. She took a quick sigh of relief when she saw the seat beside Stephen unoccupied. The bruise looked more raw, quickly turning purplish. She walked faster, taking the few steps and sat beside Stephen, ignoring Alisha's call and the stern glare of the professor from being late to the class.

"I'll be back in a minute, students," the teacher said, phone clutched in one hand, walking away from the class.

"Piper, come and sit here!" Alisha shouted, waving her hand over, along with the styrofoam cup in her hand. It spilled a little on the floor, and Piper got up only to hear Stephen's voice.

"Don't look at her," Stephen whispered, with a hand partially covering his mouth. Piper straightened up and made a poor attempt of not listening to Alisha's calls.

Just when Piper turned her head the slightest bit to look at Alisha, Stephen nudged his shoe with hers. "Ignore, Piper. We won't get any free time later."

Piper stifled a grimace when she saw a determined Alisha making her way to their seats. "You don't need to sit beside him, Piper. The girl alongside me is ready to switch places with you."

Of course, she would, seeing as Stephen looked like an eye candy even with his wounds. Piper thought bitterly.

"Alisha, how nice to see you," Stephen said, his voiced laced with sarcasm, and Piper closed her eyes in exasperation. A sarcastic Stephen was never a good one.

"You." Alisha pointed a finger on Stephen. "I don't-"

"What?" Stephen huffed out, accidentally knocking the cup Alisha had on her table. A look of pure shock came over they face when they saw the liquid passing, soaking the pages of her notes.

Nick, Stephen's friend huffed out a little laugh. "Holy shit, you do not mess with her notes."

Alisha looked at them, then back to her desk. Piper grimaced when she saw her expression morphing into anger. Piper was ready to stop her from fighting when the professor came back to the class just in time, forcing Alisha back to her seat.

"Everything keeps falling today," Stephen murmured. Piper ignored his comment, unable to understand what he meant. After a good five minutes when the class was engrossed in the lecture, Piper passed her binder in Stephen's direction. "Now, will you please write down about what happened to your pretty place?"

"Gear up for it," Stephen said, his face expression torn between embarrassment and distress.

***

Piper burst out laughing, not able to contain it. "I can't believe you fell off from the motorcycle. Learn to ride properly. I can't see your face hurt like this. "

"It's not funny at all," Stephen said as he leaned his elbows on the counter, looking at Piper with discomfort on his face. "I thought I was going to break my head or something."

When a customer glanced at them curiously, Piper made a show of moving the vinyl records from one place to another so that her employer wouldn't question Stephen's presence and the customers would stop looking at them weirdly.

"That guy works at the ice-cream parlour. I am sure he has seen us together," Stephen stated, reading her thoughts.

"I can at least make a show that I am working too," Piper moved forward and nudged his glasses. "I love seeing you in specs."

"I know all about your specs fetish."

Piper hummed, stepping forward and placing her hand over the bruise. "I guess your mom threw a fit when she saw this?"

"She called my dad who is in another town in hysterics-"

"Oh, no."

"Oh, yes but I snatched the phone from her and convinced dad that mom was just being.. mum."

"Sweet Stephen, the star of everyone's eyes," Piper dragged a hand through his wet hair, courtesy of shower. He smelled like he always did- a hint of soap, clean linen detergent and just him.

"You do know that we are in public, right?" Stephen glanced around and looked back at her. "If your employer finds out, she will kick me out."

"Yes, I know, and I also know she adores you," Piper moved forward, placing her chin on his head and gazing at him. Giving in to the urge, she leaned forward and grabbed his cheeks with both her hands like old times. "You look cute."

"Piper! That hurts! You know my cheeks get red when you squeeze them. It's bloody embarrassing." He rubbed his cheeks, forcing a giggle out of her.

"PIPER!" They heard the shop owner, Mrs. Florentine's loud voice. As much as Piper liked to embarrass Stephen in public, there was something about the old Mrs. Florentine's gaze that made her feel like a petulant child.

"I'll go before Mrs. Florentine smacks me on my head." Stephen dropped a quick, close-mouthed kiss on her lips and ran before Mrs. Florentine could do hit him on his head.

***