15. we fight we make up

A SHARP POKE on his leg alerted Stephen.

He had no doubt it was Piper from behind, trying to grab his attention by kicking her heels along his calf. Too bad, because with Alisha sitting beside him, he couldn't react.

He also wouldn't respond because he was still angry with Piper.

"And, you have to submit this project within two weeks," Ms. Maria said, continuing. "Two students will do the project together." Groans erupted as she uttered the words. She raised up a hand and raised an eyebrow. "You will be paired with the one sitting beside you."

Just what Stephen needed in his life. The subject he hated, plus the girl who hated him.

Alisha immediately reacted. "Ms, I don't want to-"

"And if students have any objections, please keep in mind that your grades will be affected. Understood, Alisha Holland?"

The class finished, signaling students to step out of the class. Stephen got up and packed his belongings not before listening to Piper's answer to Alisha question about her well-being and stupidity at the party yesterday.

"I have no idea."

***

"Stephen."

Stephen shifted, irritated, turning to the other side and snuggling deeper into the pillow. His sleepy state couldn't grasp the voice properly, but, it was persistent, now coming down to a sing-song of his name.

"Stephen, please will you wake up?" The voice was sweet, gentle, as if afraid of his reaction. He sighed, not quite ready to wake up when someone shouted in his ear.

"Stephen!"

He woke up with a jolt, putting a hand on his chest. Piper was sitting on his bed in her red pajamas with penguin print and a black hoodie (which was his) waving her hand at him.

"Hello, sleep well?" She asked, a stupid grin on her face.

He pointed a finger in her direction. "I am still angry at you."

"Come on Stephen, I took a small bite."

"You are damn stupid, Piper," Stephen said in a raised voice, unable to control himself and got up from the bed. "Are you mad? What the fuck were you thinking?"

"Everything would have been out-"

"Were you seriously worried about the whole thing being out? Don't you know that allergic reactions can kill a person too?" he asked her, the thought making him angry and vulnerable.

"It's not about the dare! I just didn't want you to kiss-"

"Of course, I wouldn't have kissed Alisha. Or any girl, Piper! You shouldn't have eaten those strawberries. Do you know how horrible I felt? The childish dare is not more important than you-"

"I didn't want you to be embarrassed!" Piper shouted, at last, her eyes glassy. Stephen instantly felt a tug on his heart at the hurt in her voice. His words couldn't be taken back now. The damage was done.

She continued, standing up. "I didn't want everyone to know that we are lying. It would have been a disaster, and you would bear the brunt of it. But no, you don't want to listen to me, fine." She threw the box of Ferrero Rocher, his favorite, in his direction in anger.

"Enjoy this alone now."

***

ROLES REVERSED now, Stephen was desperate to make amends. He hated fighting with Piper. It left him hollow, and unhappy, his mind constantly going back to the moment. It wasn't an exaggeration. Without Piper, his happiness shimmered, and he didn't want to waste a minute to make amends.

It was chilly, with no sound except for the soft hum of the wind and distant vehicles. Two a.m at night, Stephen stood outside Piper's door and texted her.

Please open the door. If not, I will ring the bell.

A jerk move, but what they say. Go big or go home.

After a minute, the door opened revealing an angry Piper, in the same outfit, her hair tied up in a messy bun. She was a beautiful sight save for the hurt on her face.

"Piper," he whispered, and Piper let him. He followed her to her room, locking the door behind him.

"I am sorry," Stephen said, catching Piper's hand in hers. "Please?"

Piper gripped her hands in his and stared at him. "I don't like it when we fight over stupid things."

"I want to say." He bit his lip, pondering how to explain. Her When it came to Stephen, Piper lost all her senses, replaced with a desire to protect him no matter what. It made him feel loved, and at the same time terrified him. "Don't do anything stupid for me. You don't always have to protect me."

Piper smiled, a serene expression on her face. She placed a small kiss at the corner of his mouth. "It's not protecting, Stephen. It makes me happy whether you like it or not. I love you. I am sorry too, and I won't do anything like that again."

Stephen smiled at her words, his heart thudding wildly against his chest. No matter how old the words were, the sensation that builds up in him was new every time, getting stronger each other. The fight may or many not have been dissolved, but, their love was enough for now.

"I love you too." he placed her head in the crook of his neck and kissed her forehead. "I have chocolates in my pockets. Let's eat them."

That's how Stephen and Piper spent their night, eating Ferrero Rocher, and with Finding Nemo on the TV screen, snuggled into each other in their matching hoodies.

It was home.

***