19. awkward conversations

TODAY WAS dress up day.

Piper thought as she neatly tied the knot of her silk choker, admiring it in the mirror. The matte red lipstick did wonders on her lip, no doubt complementing her dark skin tone. Grabbing her rose gold framed glasses, she completed the look, smiling at herself.

After securing a corner seat in the train, Piper let herself relax and closed her eyes as she leaned back against the seat.

Alex had organized a small get together party at his house, inviting both Stephen and Piper. Stephen had to leave because Alex wanted help, and hence, she was alone today.

Soon, she thought to herself as she opened her eyes and watched the view outside the window. Soon, Piper and Stephen had, to tell the truth. In the start, it had been a childish and a funny thing to do, but nowhere in her mind had she realized that how the stupid, stupid dare and lying would threaten her friendship with others.

Each passing day, the worry was eating her. If it was bad for Piper, it was even worse for Stephen.

Her thoughts came to an abrupt end when her phone pinged, signaling the arrival of a message.

Stephen: Where are you? Everyone is here.

Piper: Be there in five minutes.

Stephen: Okay. Love you. Be safe.

Piper: Love you too ;)

Whatever life had planned for Piper, she just had to grab it and make lemonades. With that final thought, she got out of the train.

***

"You look beautiful, Piper," Alex said, grinning at her.

Piper raised an eyebrow at his flirtatious tone but accepted the compliment. Stealing a glance at Stephen, she saw him rolling his eyes.

They were all seated in the hallway, playing random games and sipping juices along with snacks. Alex, surprisingly, was being a good host. Or it could be because only eight of them were present. Nevertheless, it was a nice break from their school life.

"So, Piper, you interested in a dinner with me?"

Piper stopped midst eating, looking at Alex with narrowed eyes. "What?"

"You are single, aren't you?"

"Yeah, but it doesn't mean I am open to dating," she said in a mocking tone.

"Just one dinner, Piper."

"Alex, I am not-"

"She doesn't want to date, Alex," Stephen said, gritting his teeth, and scowling at him. Alex raised his hands up. "Jesus. Fine. I am not going to force her. Calm down."

"I am going to get myself a drink," Stephen said and stood up. Alex watched him go, then turned to Piper. "Do you like him?"

Surprised by his turn of questions, she didn't answer but asked him another. "Why do you ask that?"

Alex shrugged. Piper wanted to ask him more, but Alisha poked her in the ribs. "Hey, what was that for?"

"Look! Stephen's hair is not platinum. I can see the roots of his hair. I always knew they were not natural." She sounded pleased with herself.

"Right, such an existential crisis."

"I have to tell you something," Alisha said, her eyes wide and her voice holding nervousness.

"What?"

"Stephen, why don't you have any girlfriend?" Piper heard Alex ask. She diverted her attention to them, wincing when she saw Stephen struggling to realize.

"I don't like to commit," he answered lamely, unsure, and Piper refrained herself from hitting her forehead with her palm.

"Who would want you anyway," Alisha said in a mocking tone, smirking at him.

"This body," Stephen pointed to himself, gesturing his hand over himself. "Is a temple. Not available to everyone."

"The temple is open to everyone, you dumb head," Alisha retorted back.

It was so uncommon of Stephen to boast about himself, that she couldn't restrain the laugh. Everyone turned around to look at her, even Stephen who looked a bit wild with his wide eyes, and confused with his adorable expression.

Crazy and cute.

"Nothing happened, guys. Carry on with the interrogation about his personal life."

"I have to tell you something, Piper. Come with me." Alisha took hold of Piper's hand and took her away from the gathering, muttering 'not your business' when Stephen asked about their whereabouts.

Once out of everyone's eyes, Alisha fidgeted with her hands, not looking into Piper's eyes. Finally getting irritated, Piper asked.

"What happened, Alisha?"

"I hugged Stephen in the graveyard."

"Are you serious?" Piper asked feigning surprise, even though Stephen had told her. Her initial reaction was a tad bit dramatic, but, it was because of their lying; something Piper realized and decided not to make a big issue.

"Yeah. He looked embarrassed. No, scratch that, he was embarrassed."

"Don't fret about it." After a beat, Piper lowered her voice and carefully asked Alisha. "Do you like him?"

"Piper! NO," Alisha screeched, shaking her head. "Why do you keep asking that?"

"Simple curiosity. You never know what could happen."

***