Chapter 4.1 - Miracle bread

Hello guys. For the ones who were worried about me because of the caption I wrote in the last chapter, I told you that my leg was injured and bandaged, it wasn't a really serious thing but it hurt a lot because I strained it during basketball. But the same area swelled on Wednesday and hurt so much that I couldn't update, I'm sorry for that. I went to the doctor today and they said that it is an inflammation with a suspicion of thrombosis. The problems with my leg won't stop, it's like a goddamned curse.

Well, I hope that you'll enjoy the chapter :)

"Listen, first years. Once a year, a special sandwich is sold in our cafeteria. They say that it gives people luck in love and many other things and it is called the 'Miracle bread'. You guys will get us second years a few of them", Aida announced as the team met in the school yard and Taiga scoffed, finding the task way too easy and not even being worth meeting for.

"What could be so difficult about getting sandwiches?", he asked and walked away from his team, taking big steps towards the cafeteria with the other second years right behind him.

"Haru-san, you will go to the rooftop with us", the coach ordered and Ai nodded unsurely, following the second years to the said place. "Where do you know them from?", the captain of Seirin asked Ai strictly after the second years arrived at the rooftop and everyone immediately looked at her, making her feel even weirder than before.

"Who do you mean with them, Hyūga-senpai?", she asked back softly while playing with a strand of her dead hair. "The Generation of Miracles", he replied and Ai let go of her hair, dropping her hand when the name of the group was mentioned.

"O-Oh... I-I...", she stuttered nervously and the second years waited for her to continue. "You?", Koganei asked curiously, making the girl even more nervous.

"I attended Teikō", she spat out after hesitating for a while, leaving everyone speechless. "T-Teikō...", Aida repeated and their jaws dropped as they realized what that meant.

"WHAT!? THE TEIKŌ!?", all of them, except Mitobe of course, shouted, making Ai look down. She sighed silently and nodded, thinking about what to say to clarify that a little bit. But she also didn't want to reveal too much information because it would attract unnecessary attention.

"I was the coach assistant of the basketball club. But please don't tell anyone else. It's the past, and all of us already went on", she explained and they nodded, but were still curious about why she didn't want to tell any details about that. They expected that she would proudly tell everything about how amazing they were, but she didn't.

Before anyone could question Ai any further, the first years arrived with the sandwiches. They looked pretty worn-out, but it looked like they survived it.

"Here, your ordered sandwiches", Taiga said and handed Hyūga the bag, but he handed it back to the redhead with a kind smile. "They are yours. Enjoy them", he said and the breads were distributed among the first years, with Kuroko trying the holy food first because he was the one who got them with the help of his lack of presence.

The sandwich was filled with black iberian pig, caviar, foie gras and truffle and even the almost always deadpanning guy had a satisfied smile on his lips. The others were simply flashed by the delicacy of the bread.

"I don't want to eat, but thanks anyway", Ai declined politely when she was offered a sandwich and she wanted to give it to Taiga who had already finished his one that was one freaking meter long.

She was stopped by the male with eagle eyes who got in her way. "Eat it. You don't need to think about your figure", he said seriously and a light blush was visible on Ai's cheeks.

How long has it been that she received compliments? She had already forgotten how it felt and it was kind of difficult for her to deal with that.

"Uh... Thanks, Izuki-senpai, but I'm not hungry...", she said and tried to give it to Taiga again, but Izuki smiled kindly and gently grabbed the sandwich from her hands.

"Do you want me to feed you?", he asked and Taiga choked on his spit when he heard these words. "Like hell you'll do that!", he growled and narrowed his eyes at his Senpai.

"Show respect to your Senpai, idiot!", Hyūga shouted and slapped the back of the redhead's head, earning a painful shout from him.

Ai sighed with a smile and accepted the sandwich. She thanked the male again and sat down on the railing to dangle her legs in the air, then started to eat the sandwich - and damn, she lost her balance because of that excellent taste!

Ai almost thought that it was it, but a pair of muscular arms was tightly wrapped around her waist and prevented her from falling down the who knows how many floors of the school building.

The girl had collected a lot of near-death experiences before, but she didn't think about suicide for a while now. It was like she was completely torn apart from that and she couldn't imagine herself trying to kill herself again.

"Oh my god... T-Thank you a lot...", Ai stuttered after gulping heavily and looking over her shoulder to see the mute who nodded as an answer and sat down next to her after letting her go.

Ai sighed in relief when she noticed that no one else had seen that because they were deepened in a group conversation; they would have scolded her to hell and forbid her to ever go to the rooftop again after this.

Ai ate her sandwich till the half was still left, but her stomach was full and she couldn't finish it. "What should I do with the sandwich now?", she mumbled and looked at it with guilt, knowing that she had to throw it away, but Mitobe tapped her on her shoulder and pointed at himself when she looked at him. "Really? Thank you!", she said and handed him her bread.

'He is quiet, but he seems to be a very nice and kind person...' , she thought to herself and smiled with a slight blush of happiness as the boy next to her ate the bread without even caring about the fact that she had already bitten into it.

'Why does my heart feel so warm? Is it because it has been such a long while since anyone has been kind to me? I just got to know them, but they are so kind to me... Each of them... Do I really deserve this?'

-

For the ones who ship Ai with Izuki and Mitobe (͡• ͜ʖ ͡•). It's not like I don't ship her with them, I lowkey ship her with everyone~

See you in the next chapter ❤