Chapter 1

As I get out of the car, I feel the warm breeze go through my hair. Leaves fly across the ground while bright green trees are slightly swaying back and forth. I look around and then up, only to stare at the large Victorian house in front of me.

"Kendall, you can go inside. I can grab your luggage from here." Peter Hastings, my Uncle, says.

"Are you sure you don't need help?" I turn and ask.

"No sweetie. Go inside! They are waiting." He smiles. And I smile back. Then I start walking into the huge house.

Before I get any further let me introduce myself. My name is Kendall Hastings. I am 16 years old. I am the cousin of Spencer Hastings. I used to live here in Rosewood. But I have moved to Malibu, California for my dad's job. Life in Malibu was just perfect. I got to go to the beach everyday, I was one of the most popular girls at my private school, and I got to go to all the big events. Yet that all ended until that day. My parents have passed in a severe car crash. I don't remember much of it, because I refuse to. Well, now I am sent here to live with My Aunt Veronica, Uncle Peter and cousin Spencer.

As I walk inside, I see no one around. I walk into the Kitchen and I see Spencer on the couch near the fireplace and my Aunt Veronica cooking dinner.

"Whoa! It smells amazing in here!" I yell. My Aunt Veronica jumps up and give me a huge hug!

"Kendall!!! You're here! Sweetie we missed you!!"

"I miss you guys too!" I say almost squeezed to death. She finally let's go and Spencer comes out to hug me.

" I missed my favorite cousin!" Spencer said. I smile and let go. My Uncle walks in with bags of luggage.

"Spencer, why don't you help Kendall start unpacking in her new room. We will call you for dinner." He says, almost out of breath. Spencer nods in excitement.

Last time I saw Spencer, we were about 13, before I moved to California from Rosewood. She was like my sister. We were best friends, even if we were about 2 years apart, we always understood each other.

Both of us grab a suitcase and head upstairs. She leads me into my new room and It was beautiful. I was truly impressed.

"You like?" Spencer asked.

"I love!" I say as I plop down on the bed. "So how are Aria, Emily and Hanna?" I ask.

"They're great! They are coming later...I think." She giggles while grabbing her phone.

I was friends with the other girls and Alison. Alison loved me and everyone saw it. Alison was different around me. She would always have a smile on her face when she saw me and she never threatened me or said something mean to me. (Okay maybe I lied about that last part, but she wasn't mean to me often.) Alison treated me like I was something special. I wasn't able to attend her funeral, though I would have liked to. I think about her often, wondering how Rosewood works without their "queen bee".

Spencer and I start unpacking. We were catching up with each other a lot. She talked about field hockey, school, and her relationship status. I told her about life in California. There was school, my friends, being at the beach almost everyday, and then that dreadful day and how I'm keeping it together, when I'm really not.

Spencer was digging into my suitcase, snd then took her hand out. It was covered in a light pink goo.

"Ken," she says. "I think you had a lotion explosion."

I look at her hands and start laughing. I start cleaning up the items in my suitcase covered with lotion which was just other bath and body products, while Spencer went to wash her hands.

While Spencer is in the bathroom washing her hands, I receive a text. I stand and grab my phone to read:

Welcome back! Get ready cause these bitches know something you don't. Hope we have fun together! Kisses -A

I freeze and I drop my phone. Who is A and who is he/she/it talking about?

Spencer walks into my bedroom And I at stare at her. She smiled at me, but It faded once she was the scared expression on my face.

"What?" She asks. "Is everything okay?"

I open my mouth, but words don't come out of my mouth. Do I spring this on her? Do I wait? No..I am going to spring it on her.

"Who is A Spencer?" I ask in a demanding tone. I saw Spencer freeze. Right there and then, my Aunt calls us down saying that the other girls are here and that dinner is ready.

"I will explain later." Spencer says turning around and going downstairs. I follow her and I see the girls.

"Woah, that's little Kendall?" Hanna asked as I walked down the stairs.

"I'm only about two years younger than you Hanna." I say.

"Still, you were short." She said. I couldn't help but laugh and hug her. I hugged each of the girls.

"How are you?" Emily asked letting go from the hug I gave her.

"Honestly, okay." I say with a toothless smile.

"Okay, anyone else hungry? Cause they are kind of starting dinner without us." Aria points out. We all chuckle and go to the dinner table. We settle down in our seats. I look over next to me and see Spencer give me a small smile. She looked nervous. Was it because of A? Who is A? I was asking all these questions to myself in my head. That was until I heard their names. By their names, I mean my parents names. Yea, the parents who died in a car accident. Everyone kept talking about them. How they will be missed, how they were such happy people, and how they were amazing parents towards me.

And I couldn't take it. I couldn't hold it in anymore. I slid my chair back and put down the napkin I had in my hand.

"Can you guys excuse me for a second?"

I stood and went away to the living room. I put my hands through my hair. I sat on the couch. My eyes started go tear, but I refused to cry. I never cry about their death, I was strong about it. I believe crying demonstrates weakness, and refuse for others to ser me weak. I felt a hand on my back. I looked to my left and saw Spencer comforting me. I hugged her tightly.

"Ken, it's okay." She said rubbing my back. She let go of me and looked at me in eyes. "I know you miss them. I miss them too. They were my aunt and uncle you know."

"I know, but just hearing their names again.., I haven't heard their names said by someone else in such a long time."

I saw Spencer start to tear, but she refused herself to.

"Let's go back to dinner, I can keep myself contained." I tell her. She mouthed the word 'ok' and left. I went to the bathroom quickly to wash my face. I looked in the mirror. I have to keep myself sane. I have to stop thinking about this about this and letting it control me. I need to.

I left the bathroom and went back to the dinner table where everyone else was, pretending my little outburst never happened....except for A. I heard my phone buzz one more time, and I looked at the text.

Don't cry. You'll see mommy and daddy real soon. -A