Chapter 38

I walked into my house after a long day of school. I looked around to see if my parents were home. I found them in my dad's office drinking wine, and working on their own individual cases.

My dad must of heard me walk in because he spoke up before I could even walk through the door.

"Hello Kendall." He says not even looking up from his desk. I just stood there with a straight face. Sensing the awkwardness, my mother asked,

"Kendall, what can we do for you sweetie?" Unlike my father, she looked up from her work and look eye to eye with me.

"We need to talk." I say.

"About?" She spits back.

"You know, you never told me why you sent me away.." I say. My father looks up right away, becoming interested in the conversation.

"Kendall, that is nothing to your concern." He says.

"Yes it is!" I yell. I walk towards them. "I need to know why. It's killing me!"

"Kendall," My mother starts. I knew she was going to side my dad, but I refused.

"No. I want to know. And I want to know now." I cross my arms.

They both sigh. "Close the door." My father says. I turn around and bring a small smirk to my face. I got what I want. I walk to the double doors of the office and close them.

Spencer's P.O.V

I got out from the school building and saw Toby's tan pick-up truck. I spotted him leaning against it.

"Hey." He said pulling me into a hug.

"I'm kinda sweaty Tobes. I just finished field hockey." I say trying to avoid it so I don't torture him with how sweaty I seem. It was a tough practice today, what can I do.

"I can handle it." He said winking. He pulled me into a hug and then kissed me. I smile and we both hop into the truck.

As Toby was driving, there was a comfortable silence between us.

"How's Kendall?" He asked breaking the silence.

"Honestly, I don't know." I say. Kendall has been acting weird since Mike gave her that note. I think she is just hiding the pain, but just isn't good at it. I always ask her if she's alright, but I always get the same answer,

"Spencer! I told you once and I don't need to say it again. I. am. FINE! I am not going to let this situation bring me down."

"I haven't talked to her in a while." Toby mentions.

"She has been avoiding everyone." I say.

"You don't think.." Toby paused.

I thought. I don't think Kendall joined the A team AGAIN to find Mike. That doesn't seem like something she would do, unlike me...

When we arrived at my house, I got out and so did Toby. We got inside and all was quiet. Like the house was empty.

"Are we home alone?" Toby asked with a smile creeping onto his face.

"Think again Toby." I say laughing. "Both my parents cars are here. So they have to be here." I grab an apple before I go and look around my house. Toby follows me and I see the light on in my dad's office behind the closed doors. I walked closer hearing many voices. I step back and look at Toby.

"Who is in there?" He asks. I shrug. I take a bite out of my apple and then see a shadow approaching the door. I push Toby and myself to the corner. We see Kendall come out of the room. She closed the door and walked confidently.

"Kendall!" I say rather loudly. She literately jump up and screamed.

"Spencer! You gave me a freaking heart- attack!" She said putting her hand over her own heart.

"Kendall, what happened in there?" I ask while pointing at the office.

Kendall's P.O.V

Before I could answer Spencer's question, our parents came out of the office.

My dad fixed up his tie and my mom straightened out her skirt.

"Girls, we will be out tonight. We have a full amount of meetings to attend." He said, then he realized Toby was behind Spencer.

"Toby. How are you?" He smiled a small smile.

"Good sir." Toby said confused.

"We will be home late." My mother cracks her voice. She wiped a small tear from her eye. My mother never cries, or rarely cries. My dad smiles softly and then passes right by me. It looked like he was about to cry himself.

"Oh, and you three can order out, unless Spencer, you are going out with Toby." He said on his way out. My parents grabbed their individual suitcases and left.

That left Toby, Spencer and I in silence.

"Why the hell did Mom look like she was crying?" Spencer said in complete shock.

"Was your Dad just being nice with me?" Toby asks looking at Spencer. Spencer nodded.

"Ken, I'm going to ask you again. What happened in there?" Spencer crossed her arms, like how I did to my parents just minutes ago.

"I'mmovingtoCalifornia." I say quickly and quietly. I turn around to go to the kitchen. I heard Spencer's apple drop. I could just tell that she never expected that answer. Toby just stood there in awe. I could tell that he didn't believe what he was hearing.

"WHAT THE HELL DO YOU MEAN YOU'RE MOVING!!!!!!!!!" Spencer and Toby yelled at the same time.

I tried to avoid them by running up stairs. Then Spencer stopped me. "Stop. Sit." And I did exactly that. I sat on the couch and they just watched me.

"I am moving to California. But only for 2 months, not forever." I say as sweet as can be so Spencer doesn't rip my head off. "Think of it as an extremely long vacation." I try to joke, but they don't seemed amused.

"Ever since you got here Kendall, I have loved you and realized that you are my true best friend and to be honest, the best sister. You can't leave. I wouldn't be able to survive without you."

With what Spencer had just said, my heart shattered into a million pieces.

Then Toby started talking, "And Kendall, you have became somewhat a sister I have never had before. Someone who gives me advice on what to do or not do, a friend to play video games with,-"

"Stop!" I interrupted. "Now I feel bad. But this is the best choice for me." I argue.

They both sat down in silence. I stood up. "Guys, how many times have I almost gotten killed since I got here?" I ask with my hands on my hips.

"A lot." Toby whispers.

"Exactly! If I move to California, A can't reach me. I will be protected. If A wanted to torture me, he/she/it would have to do a lot to get to me. I will be across the country!"

"Who will you be staying with?" Spencer asked.

"My best friend that lives there said she would take me in." I answer.

"How long before you leave?" Toby asked in a saddest tone I have ever heard.

"2 weeks." I say dryly.

"Is that why you, Mom, and Dad were arguing in the office?" Spencer asked. I knew she was dying to know the answer to that question.

"Yes and no." I sigh.

Both of them looked confused.

"We fought because they finally told me why they gave me away," I whisper.

"What? They finally spilled the beans?" Toby said in a more upbeat tone.

"Yea," I nod. "But it was something I wasn't ready to hear.."