Chapter 10: First Trial Success

It was sunset when we finally caught up to Mister Twister. The town was in shambles: destroyed buildings, boats all over the place, and people screaming.

Superboy and Wally were already locked in combat when Robin, Kaldur and I caught up. I managed to hold back a couple tornados while Superboy got some hits in, but I accidentally hit Kaldur and the width sent him into a nearby building. I yell out an apology, wanting to go check on him but I know of I do then we'll only be harder for the others.

I formed a tornado around my body before launching myself at the robot, trying to get close enough to try to get at some of the wires pokinbout of his back: but before I could reach them he threw a stronger attack at me and I went flying into the ground.

Ow

"Listen to me." Megan's voice suddenly appeared in my head and I hunched over in pain, the oversensory growing harder and harder to control and I grip my eyes shut. "All of you!"

"What did we tell you?" Superboy yelled in rage, making me wince and clap my hands over my ears.

"I know." Megan said. "And I know I messed up. But now I'm very clear on what we have to do."

There's a moment of silence over the mental communications link and I bite my lip as I say the only coherent thing possible for me at the moment.

"What's the plan?"
***

"Hit the showers you five. I was hoping you could handle this." Red said as he flew down from above us. "Clearly you cannot."

"But we have a plan now!" Robin exclaimed.

"The subject is not up for debate." Red said sternly, and we all scuffles away and into our positions.

After a moment and we see Megan turn from her disguise as my mentor to her normal look, Wally and I send a glance at eachother. I start forming my biggest tornado, and Wally runs to direct it towards Mister Twister. The tornado hit its target and sent the evil robot to Superboy, who was eagerly waiting to punch him. Twister landed in the water, and was sent up in a huge wave onto the land, followed by a victorious Kaldur.

Megan telekinetically ripped Twister's arms off and Rob sent flying a bunch of explosives to completely disable the robot.

Suddenly, a hatch opened and a scrawny-looking man falls out.

"Fowl." He says, his voice quivering. "I call a fowl."

Before anyone could do anything, Megan used her powers to pick up a large rock.

"Megan! No!" I called, but it was too late. The rock crushed the man.

Our small group was shrouded with silence.

"I don't know how things are done on Mars." Robin says angrily. "But on Earth, we don't execute our captives!"

"You said you'd trust me." Megan says smugly, and she lifts the rock to uncover a pile of robot parts. I, as well as the rest of the team, breathe a large sigh of relief. "That's why I couldn't read his mind."

"Cool!" Wally says, picking up a mechanical eye. "Souvenir."

"We should have trusted you." Kaldur said, placing a hand on Megan's shoulder. The girl smiles like a child who got a gold star.

"Ya, you really rocked this mission." Wally says, grinning. "Get it? Rocked?"

We all roll our eyes and shake our heads.

We all headed back to the bio-ship but I stepped closer to Kaldur as we walk.

"Sorry for kind of throwing you into a building..." I said, playing with my hair. Kaldur chuckled before smiling at me.

"Don't worry, you had a lot to worry about." He says kindly. "And it takes a lot more than that to faze me."

I blush at his jolly attitude and avert my eyes.

"Right...Atlantian muscle...Sorry." I murmured. He chuckled again and ruffles my head.

"You're concern and care for others never ceases to amaze me."
***

It was almost dark by the time we got back to the cave. We all met up with Red to discuss the attack, and Red listened silently until he was able to speak.

"It was clearly created to sabotage or destroy you." Kaldur said.

"Agreed." Red Tornado said.

"Is that why you wouldn't help us?" Megan asked, but I already knew the answer

"No." He says. "This was your battle. I do not believe it is my role to solve you problems for you, nor shall you mine for me."

"We're still going to help you if you're in trouble Red." I corrected him with a smile. He looks at me for a moment before walking away.

"Consider the matter closed."

"Batman, Aquaman, Flash...They'd all have jumped right in to fix things."  Wally said.

"Guess if we're going to have a babysitter, a heartless machine is exactly what we need." Robin said, and in retaliation I raise a brow in warning.

"That's my mentor you just insulted." I said in a warning tone, and Robin looked scared.

"Ya dude, harsh." Wally added.

"And inaccurate." Red cut in, pausing in his walk away. "I have a heart: carbon-steel alloy. I also have excellent hearing."

Robin let out a nervous laugh. "Right, I'll...Strive to be more... Accurate."

"And respectful." I said. "Welcome to protege-ing under Red Tornado: a giant ball of awkward discussions, weird looks, and an annoyingly monotone voice. But he's a sweetheart."

We all chuckle, before I notice a wonderous look in Wally's eyes.

"You know, Speedy was wrong." He said, starting to walk away.

"This team thing..." Robin said.

"Just might work." Kaldur and I say in unison, looking at each other before smiling.

Sorry the chapter is small and not great, but I'm trying to get something up before exams.