Chapter 24: School

(Quinn's back, I know how y'all love him! 😋)

It was that lovely time of the year where you packed up the tank tops and skirts, and traded them in for school uniforms and textbooks.

That's right: it was the first day of school.

Coincidentally, we all happened to have our first day on the same day (save for Wally who started three weeks ago) except for Kaldur, who didn't go to school for obvious reasons (he'd have to go all the way to Atlantis to do so).

I really wanted to be a little late to see Superboy and Megan off, but alas: I couldn't be late for my first day. It was the same reason that I wasn't in Taipei, manning the peace conference between North and South Rhelasia.

But alas, I could only order Kaldur to text me once Superboy and Megan had left, and listen to the radio on my cell to listen to the live news broadcast.

As I finally made it to the cobblestone walkway of my high school, I was to busy to look up from my phone.

Our out-of-town friends have departed. Superboy has chosen the alias Conner Kent, thanks to Megan and her uncle. Have a good first day -Kaldur.

I smiled at the text and was about to send a reply when I felt myself run into something hard.

I found myself suddenly sitting on the ground, my book bag fallen off my shoulder. I rubbed my head in confusion.

"Watch where you're going!" A squeaky voice yell and I held in a groan.

"Sorry, I wasn't-"

"Knock it off Claire, I shouldn't have been in the middle of the path." A familiar voice lectured and I looked to see Quinn standing there, smiling and extending my hand. "You alright Lina?"

I blushed, and let my bangs fall into my face as I grabbed my bag and took his hand; letting him pull me up.

"Ya, thanks Quinn...And sorry." I said, brushing off my plaid school skirt.

"Nothing to apologise about." Quinn smiled, before he suddenly knelt down and handed me my cellphone. "This it yours?"

I nodded, blushing even more as I took the phone and slipped it into my bag.

"Thank you..." I muttered.

"You know this girl Q?" A girl, the one who had called me out, said. She had cropped blonde hair with a pink barrette.

"Lina Dubois, she's in our grade." Quinn reminded her. The girl-Claire was it-suddenly looked like she remembered.

"The freaky girl that used to scream at any little noise and interupt all our classes?" She asked, making me bite the inside of my cheek and blush furiously. "You're friends with this ex-trouble maker?"

"Claire." Quinn said to my surprise, and I looked up to see him glaring at the girl. "Shut up."

I blushed as he turned back to me and smiled. His smile was nice, genuine but still charming, a little uneven but only enough to give it a mischievous look.

"May I walk you too class?" He asks, and I blush but nod.

"O-okay." I muttered.
***

It was during lunch when I heard Roy's voice on the news broadcast.

When the Peace Conference was about to start: an assassin had interfered but after some commotion it settled down. When the police ran to action: I definitely heard Roy's voice and my eyes widened to the size of saucers.

Immideatly, I texted Kaldur.

Roy may need backup. Expect a call and be careful -Lina.
***

The rest of the day went of fairly smoothly. I was able to fly under the radar and just focus on my teacher and the lessons. Finally however, the final bell rang at 5:30 and we were freed.

I needed to get to the cave and see if Kaldur was okay, and if the mission, and in essence: the conference, had been a success.

When I begin to head home however, I'm once again met by Quinn's voice.

"Hey, Lina." He says and I turn, smiling.

"Hey Quinn." I said. "Can I help you?"

"I was just wondering...Do you wanna maybe get some food? I could walk you home." He said and I blushed, brushing some hair behind my ear.

"That...Sounds really nice Quinn: but I actually have to be somewhere." I said anxiously.

"Oh...Of course." He nods, rubbing his neck. "Um...Can I ask you a question?"

I nodded, but inwardly cursed him. I needed to get to the cave.

"When we bumped into each other earlier...You were texting someone and smiling. Was it...A boyfriend or someone?"

Needless to say, I wasnt expecting that.

"No, that was just my friend..." I said, blushing. "I don't have a boyfriend."

"Oh, wow!" He said, sounding happy for some reason. "Okay, I was just curious."

"Ya! So...If that's all..." I said, motioning my head to the side awkwardly.

"Oh! Ya! Go ahead! Sorry for holding you up!" He said, raising his hands in defence and I smiled.

"No problem Quinn." I said, smiling before jogging away. "See you tomorrow."

"Ya, see ya!"
***

Running into the cave, I immideatly spotted Kaldur at the kitchen: sipping from a water bottle with a distant look in his eyes. Knowing Kaldur, he was probably day dreaming, he does that a lot.

"Kaldur!" I exclaim, running up to him and catching off guard as he flinches slightly and turns to me. "Are you okay? How's Roy? How'd the conference go?"

He looks at me for a moment, keeping me in an uncomfortable suspense before he smiles gently.

"I'm fine Lina, as is Roy. The conference went well. A little problem with Sportsmaster and Cheshire, but nothing Roy and I couldn't handle." He explained and I sighed in relief.

"I heard Luther was the guest and I got so worried...And then that attack and Roy getting in trouble..." I sighed before looking back up at Kaldur again. "Good thing he got over his ego and called you."

Kaldur smiled and nodded. "Indeed."

I then felt his eyes drift to my body and I felt my face burn up before he spoke.

"I was unaware that your school required uniforms." He said, and I jumped and looked down at my classic navy-blue plaid skirt, white blouse, and grey cardigan ensemble.

I sighed in a combination of embarrassment, distaste, and kicking myself for forgetting to change.

"I knew I forgot something..." I muttered, wiping my hands over my face before I turned to the rooms, remembering I kept some spare clothes in my room at the cave. "I'm going to go change, be right back."

Kaldur laughed and nodded as I ran off.

Filler chapter? Absolutely. But do I love writing fillers? You bet!

Also, I just wanted y'all to know that I have officially uploaded this story onto fanfic.net, however updates on that copy will only be bi-weekly due to the fact that I write 99% of my stuff on mobile and fanfic.net doesn't like that