Chapter 46: Inductions and Plane Crashes

New Year's Eve: A time for adults to lock their doors, teenagers and young adults to get drunk and party, preteens to watch pop stars on the count down, and children to stay up hours after their bed time.

But me and the team? We were switching popstars and underage drinking with watching new members of the league get officially welcomed in the Hall of Justice.

"I'm glad they didn't kick Billy out." Wally said, pleased as he chomped on an apple.

"All heroes are entitled to their own secret identity." I reminded, quoting what Red had told me this morning when I had asked about Captain Marvel's membership in the Justice League.

"Fair enough, but I'm just stoked that there's a ten year old in the league." Wally said.

"There is?" Our newest member, Rocket said. From what I knew, Rocket was the protégé of Icon (a hero I knew next to nothing about) and had a lot of spunk, and was pretty powerful.

Robin hit Wally in the ribs. "Way to keep a secret, genius."

"Hey, she's on the team now right?" Wally said.

I rolled my eyes as the newest members of the league were announced: Doctor Fate (much to Zatanna's disapproval), The Atom (a guy who could shrink down super-tiny), Plastic Man (he stretches, and apparently has a criminal record?), Icon, and Red Arrow.

"You know, I was the one that convinced Icon to be a hero in the first place? I should be out there celebrating with him, not hidden away in here!" Rocket said.

"Welcome to our world." Kaldur said with a smirk. Suddenly, Rocket's stance got a lot more confident and laid back and, looking at her face, I saw her...

Wait, is she checking Kaldur out?

"Well I suppose there's an upside too..." She muttered. Her actions caused my face to heat up and the weird knot-tying feeling in my stomach to return. I bit my lip and fiddled with my hair as I forced my eyes back to the screen.

I'm not jealous, I'm not jealous, Dinah was wrong and I'm not jealous...

However, my spirits lifted when the footage switched to Roy shaking hands with GA, and I couldn't help but applaud cheerfully.

"Way to go Roy!" Wally cheered.

"He finally did it!" I celebrated.

"At last he has his wish." Kaldur said, pleased.

"First of us to make it, no one will call him a sidekick anymore." Robin said.

"Wait, since when is being a sidekick a bad thing?" Rocket asked, placing her hands on her hips. "You sidekicks were my inspiration!"

Crap she's nice too...DON'T WORRY ABOUT THIS RIGHT NOW

"Well you see...six months ago-" Robin was cut off by what sounded like an alert and he pulled up his holo-computer as the ceremony outside came to a close. "Emergency alert! We need to go."

 ***

"Are you sure it's her?" Artemis asked as we flew through the snowy mountains in the bioship. "Are you absolutely positive?"

"See for yourself." Robin said as he pulled up his holographic screen onto the bioship's windshield. It was security footage that showed a petite woman from Asian decent boarding a plane. "This is the security footage from Ashville Regional Airport." The footage zoomed up onto the woman's face to reveal a mug shot of Jade Nguyen AKA Cheshire. "Facial recognition software identified it as Nguyen, but you've seen her without her mask. What do you think?"