Chapter 31: Outdoor Lunches

I couldn't sleep and decided to just write this to get on with the story, I guess. Also I like seeing you guys be salty about Quinn.

It was a normal day back at school. The weather was getting steadily cooler, nearing winter, and I decided to take advantage of the last few days when I'd be able to be outside comfortably and sat outside during lunch: sitting behind the school.

That's where I was now: bag of cookies in my lap and my hands holding my copy of Catcher On The Wrye.

"Well if it isnt everyone's favorite dancer." I heard a familiar voice say and I turned my head to see Quinn at the corner, smiling down at me.

"Hello Quinn." I greeted with a small smile. "But...I'd be careful using the term 'favorite dancer' here, the dance team can get pretty competitive."

Quinn chuckled as he sat down.

"Funny you should mention them. I was talking to the captain the other day and I got to thinking: why aren't you on the school dance team?" He asked and I sighed, blushing.

"I...Tried out last year, but I didn't make it." I muttered.

"What? How the hell did that happen? You're, like, the best dancer in the universe!" He praised and I blushed.

"I don't know...I guess the dance team wasn't comfortable with taking on someone they didn't know, or something?" I said, playing with a strand of my hair.

"They kicked you off cause you weren't popular, huh?" He asked, sounding unimpressed and I shrugged.

"Not like I was expecting it not to happen. I just tried out cause my dad said it'd be a good way to meet people."

"I see that went splendidly." I laughed at his joke and out down my book. I turned to see Quinn's face, only to see it covered in concern.

"What happened to your wrist?" He asked incredulously. I looked at my hand which had been put in a cast since it's breaking during the fight with the Injustice League.

"I...I fell." I said, not completely lying. I did fall, just from three stories above ground while fighting superpowers maniacs.

"What? You? The biggest clutz in the school? Fell?" He asked and I blushed.

"S-shut up! I'm not that clumsy!" I sputtered, only to make Quinn laugh.

"Right, and I'm the Queen of Byalia." He laughed, and I giggled.

"I'm pretty sure you're not an evil dictator incapable of wearing an actual shirt." I laughed, and before I knew it: Quinn and I were laughing beyond control so much that it physically hurt.

After we calmed down, I saw Quinn looking at me with a weird look.

"This is nice...You're a lot of fun when you're not so self-conscious and shy." He said. "And you have a really pretty laugh, and an even prettier smile."

I blushed at his words and tucked my hair behind my ear.

"Well...You're a pretty nice guy Quinn." I said, blushing. "I really needed to.laugh like that, thanks."

Quinn raised an eyebrow. "Something happen? You wanna talk about it?"

I sighed, scratching my head.

"Someone really close to me...Did something that, to be honest, kind of betrayed me and the people I care about. And I know it wasn't his fault, and I don't want to give up on him but...The other people he hurt don't see it my way." I explained.

"Woah..." He said. "That sounds rough."

"It...Really is." I say, running my hand through my hair.

"Well, I don't know if I can help with the situation but I want to help you smile and laugh again: forget about this crappy situation." He said, catching my attention. "You have a date to the Fall Dance next month?"

I felt my face heat up and my eyes widened.

Is he...Asking me out?

"Um...No." I say, my voice cracking slightly, making me clear my throat awkwardly. "Nobody's ever asked me to things like that."

"Well then, would you like to.go.with me?" He asks, smiling with a very charasmatic grin.

My heart thumped and I for a solid second, I was totally brain-dead.

"I...um...I" I stuttered, but then I cleared my throat and breathed in: calming down.

"I-I think I'd like that." I smiled.

A huge grin moved it's way onto Quinn's face before he nubbed the back of his neck.

"That's....Wow...Okay! Awesome! I'll um, pick you up at 6:30? School ends at lunch that day so...Unless you want to do another time?" He rambled and I giggled.

"6:30's great." I smiled nervously, before ripping the piece of paper I used as a bookmark in half and taking out a pen, writing my address and phone number on it before handing it to Quinn before the bell rang.

"See you later Quinn." I said, blushing like a maniac before I ran back into the school.