Chapter 42: Snowy Days

"So you couldn't decide what o get him, so you're giving him brownies?" Artemis said over the other line.

"I'm not good with birthday shopping, okay?" I asked, holding my cellphone between my shoulder and head as I put ingredients into the bowl. "Besides, what else are you supposed t give Wally? His favorite things are science, fighting crime, and food! I wanted to make cookies, but those have kind of become Megan's thing."

"Fair enough...Baywatch does have a pretty narrow-minded head." Artemis laughed, making me join in as I began stirring the batter in my bowl. "So how many are you making?"

"This is my...third and last batch?" I said.

"...you know what? I'm not even surprised." Artemis sighed.

"Have you seen the way Wally eats? I would've made another one but bakers chocolate is expensive!" I exclaimed. Artemis laughed for a while before I heard a loud thud.

"Artemis, you okay?" I asked.

"Ya...ya, just fell off my couch." She said, out of breath and I giggled lightly.

"You okay?" I asked.

"Turst me, takes more then me being clumsy to hurt me." Artemis said and I could practically see her smirking. "Hey, Lina, I have two random questions."

"What is it?" I asked.

"First, where did you learn English? You've lived in France your whole life, nobody in your family family is fluent, and yet: you're bilingual." Artemis asked.

"My mom taught me." I explained. "Well, and a couple school classes...but mostly Mom. She was a professional dancer and knew French, English and Russian from when she trained all across the world."

"Wow, that's cool." Artemis said. "Another question: I know your...abilities emerged while you were in your coma, but...do you know why? Like Conner and Megan have theirs because of where they're from, Wally messed around with science because of his Uncle, and Z and Kaldur have magic. So...why do you have your powers?"

I paused, putting my bowl down as I furrowed my brows. Tthe question's always been at the back of my head but I'd never gotten any answers: not from the couple lab experiments the league made me do, not from the league itself, they just kind of...appeared.

"To be honest...I have no idea. I just woke up and everyone said I had formed a hurricane in my sleep." I shrugged. Artemis hummed in thought.

"Maybe there's something in your genetic makeup?" She thought. "Or maybe you're the next stage in evolution! A sign that humans are a thing of the past and you're the bridge to that new world!"

"...you're referring to those comic books, aren't you?" I asked, smiling.

"Maybe..."

We both burst into laughter.

"What's with all the laughter?" Calvin said, walking into the kitchen with only his pajama pants and bed head, he was rubbing his eyes from sleep.

"Who's that?" Artemis asked.

"My annoying older brother that sleeps until..." I looked at my watch. "2:45 in the afternoon."

"It's the weekend!" Calvin groaned, going to the fridge

"You need a girlfriend! Or a life!" I lectured.

"You sound like Dad!"

"I can feel the sibling love." Artemis joked. "Hey, how old is he? He sounds hot."

"Artemis!" I yelled. "He's my brother!"

"What?" She asked innocently and I facepalmed.

"He's 21 and still lives at home when he's not at college doing his masters in graphic design or working at the nightclub as a bartender." I groaned, not sure why I was explaining this.