Chapter 35: Failure

Episode 16 guys! You know what that means: ANGSTY ANGST ANGST

The team was forced to only watch as the Green Lanterns approached the giant alien ship coming down. The ring-powered-humans asked them to leave, but were only greeted by strong beam of light, propelling forward and hitting them straight on.

Right before our eyes, both Green Lanterns vanished.

I watched as Superman, Captain Marvel, Captain Atom and Martian Manhunter flew and charged at the alien ship, but they too were hit with the beam and disappeared before our eyes. Batman ejected from his ship, only to also be vaporized a moment later.

Zatara's face appeared on a live transmission on one of he holo-screens. "Tornado, did you..."

"Yes Zatara" Red said, as he was standing with us at the cave. "We saw. Celestial offences have failed. Initiate all terrestrial measures."

"Affirmative." Zatara responded. "See you in the field."

"I must join the league." Red announced. "We will protect the Earth at all costs, but should we fail: the responsibility falls to you."

Kaldur looked at us before answering. "We stand ready."

The team watched helplessly as squadron by squadron, the league's members got vaporized. The video feeds continued until the last one showed Iris West-Allen–Wally's aunt if memory serves–got hit by the same beam as Zatara and her husband. News reporter, Cat Grant, announced this as a transmission came in from Red.

"Red Tornado to cave, I fear I am all that's left of the league-""RED WATCH OUT!"

My warning was too late as we saw my mentor get hit by a ray.

"We are Earth's heroes now." Kaldur announced.

"The what are we waiting for?" Conner asked "A theme song?!"
(Favorite line)

"A strategy." Kaldur explained. "Earth's weapons are ineffective, and it has been made tragically clear a direct attack will not succeed."

"Checking satellite imagery." Robin stated as he pulled up a holographic globe with red dots littered everywhere. "Here's where the aliens are."

Conner pointed Northward where a lone for stood. "This one get lost?"

"It's Superman's Fortress of Solitude." Robin exclaimed.

"Superman has a Fortress of Solitude?!" Conner exclaimed, both outraged and confused.

"If memory serves, it holds all the lost knowledge of the late planet Krypton." I explained, trying to remember what I had read in a file once.

"Its power source must have attracted their attention." Robin explained. "At least enough send a scout ship to investigate."

"Must be some fortress..." Conner mumbled.

"Conner..." Megan said sympathetically.

"No, it's okay." Conner said to his girlfriend. "I guess there's a lot about Superman I'll never know...You know, now."

"We will target this lone ship." Kaldur declared.

"Break it down, build more: hit those ugly aliens with their own mojo!" Wally's enthusiasm was met by a punch from Artemis. "Ow!"

"Martian and Kryptonian in the house!" Artemis reminded.

"Um...Not that all aliens are naturally ugly..." Wally said awkwardly, making me facepalm.
***

We landed a few yard away from the alien airship as Megan ripped off the communication system and rendered it inept. Artemis took the West side and I took the East for protection.