Chapter 15: Bad Aliases

"How is it that people come up with the worst aliases...Aliai? No, aliases." I ask, but don't look up from my book.

It was a lazy day at the cave. There weren't any missions, so we were left to our own devices. Kaldur, Wally, Robin, and Megan were having a holo-air-hockey tournament, Superboy was off in Metropolis probably trying to Get Superman to notice him, and I was reading over the League's past through a collection of files that Red had given me after some persuasion.

Even though I wasn't exactly a newbie to the game, having a solid year of on-field training under my belt plus a year of off-field training before that. That being said: in France we don't really get full coverage of the Justice League, so although I know most big-time villains, I didn't know all of them. And as Francis Bacon says: Knowledge is Power.

"I mean, sure, it can be hard picking a name that's already taken. I mean, my name literally means a gentle breeze. But come on: The Lump? Matter Eater Lad? Top? Like Mister Twister wasn't bad enough!"

"Hey! Top is no laughing matter Lin'." Wally says, his attention still staying on his game with Kaldur.

"But he has such a boring and unpredictable name!" I groan. "If you're going to become a supervillain, you should choose something that's cool but still makes sense."

"Take pity on the poor souls." Rob says, smirking at me. "They don't have our creativity."

Suddenly, our conversation was brought to a halt as Superboy came brooding in. Megan asked how Metropolis was, but she was just ignored as Superboy went marching through the holographic air table, ending the game.

Great, Superboy in a worse mood than usual. Hooray.

"Something wrong?" I asked, but was only met a low grunt from the clone.

Well at least he acknowledged me...

"Ready for training everyone?" A strict, steady and soothing femalee voice said and we all turned to see Black Canary and Martian Manhunter walking into the cave.

"Uncle J'onn!" "Black Canary!" Megan and I said respectfully. Megan flew over to give her uncle a hug and I smiled and put my book down as my eyes met the woman who had grown to be like a mother figure to me since mine passed away.

"Megan, I was in the neighborhood. So I thought I'd see how you were adjusting." Martian Manhunter said to his niece.

"A few bumps, but I'm learning."

"That's all I can ask." The eldest martian said.

I walked over to Dinah and she placed a hand on my shoulder and smiled, but then her eyes left my face and narrowed.

"Stick around." She said, and I turned to see that she was talking to Superboy. "Class is in session."

All of us, including Superboy, stood on the edge of the holographic circle in the center of the room while Dinah stood confidently in the circle itself.

I would kill to have her badass confidence.

"I consider it an honor to be your teacher." She said. "I'll throw a lot at you; everything I've learned from my own mentors...And my own bruises." She stopped as she took of her cropped leather jacket, and looked pained as she moved an arm that I saw was in bandages.

"Are you okay? What happened?" I asked.

"The job." She said nonchalantly, but still had an edge to her voice that said 'dont push is'.

"Now, combat is about controlling conflict: putting the battle on your own terms. Always acting, never reacting. I'll need a sparring partner."