Chapter 23: Memories

Warning: Can be triggering!

Heat

That was the first thing I noticed when I felt myself come around.

The heat was overbearing, it felt like I was baking in an oven. I immideatly knew this wasn't going to be fun.

I felt something rough and grainy on my skin and I let out a low whimper, hating the feeling. It was like sandpaper rubbing against my skin.

My hearing came next. The sounds of animals and wind met me and I groaned slightly.

I knew opening my eyes wouldn't be a good idea, but I had too. This wasn't home.

I slowly opened my eyes, only to scream at the agonizing sunlight shining everywhere and I dug my head into the ground.

Sand...No people...Super freaking bright...Blazing heat...

Why am I in the desert?!?

I felt my breathing pick up and I whimpered more, feeling my body pull itself into a ball.

No! No having panic attacks in the middle of a desert!

I jammed my eyes shut and tried to slow my breathing.

One...Two...Three...Four...Five...Six...

I counted, using my fingers to count with my thoughts. Everytime I lifted a finger, I used my other hand to slide against my skin and I willed the feeling to flood my senses as it was familiar and soft.

When my breathing finally got my breathing under control I began thinking, trying my best to think.

I pressed my finger to my com, only for static to come through. I pressed the insignia on my belt, but was met once again with static.

Great, I can't contact Red or the league...Even though their probably the reason I'm in the desert, unable to open my eyes.

If only it were darker...

Then an idea struck me.

Desert caves! Red said that if I ever got lost in a desert to look for desert caves!

But how am I supposed to find one without opening my eyes?

I felt my spirits immideatly drop as I began playing with my hair anxiously.

After a moment of thinking everything over, I slowly stood up. I cupped my hands around my eyes as best I could before opening my eyes ever-so-slightly.

I was met with what felt like a thousand suns shining straight into my eyes and I let out another whimper and I felt like turning into an ostrich and digging my head into the sand.

Please let there be a cave nearby.

I slowly turned, and I was beginning to lose hope until I had turned a full 180 degrees and I saw what looked like the mouth of some humongous frog, an estimated 40 paces away.

Praise be onto whatever deity is listening.

I immideatly shut my eyes again and started walking, keeping my hands forward to keep myself from falling into something.

12...13...14...1-

At my fifteenth pace, my foot hit something and before I knew it: I was face first in the evil sandpaper.

Rock?

I sat up and felt around me for the rock, but what my hand came into contact with was very much not a rock.