Chapter 43: Patrols

Warning: this episode can be triggering!! Talks about teen suicide! Read at own risk!

"All I'm saying is that you should do more patrols and small missions Red." I stated as I flew over Gotham's streets, speaking to Red through my com. "You're a big-gun and could really help out here in the field."

"My obligation is here at the cave with the team." He said. "Nor am I very 'stealthy'."

"Fair enough, bus I still say you should do more then help during big emergencies." I say.

"Your point has been heard, though I still stand by my earlier statement." He says and I sigh.

"You're lucky I love ya Red, or else I would find you very annoying." I muttered.

"...Is that a joke?" Red asked and I sighed, disappointed.

"I'm going to sign off for a bit Red, standby." I said before pressing my comm off.

You're probably wondering what I'm doing in Gotham, and to be honest so would I. Apparently I was subbing for Robin and Batman because Robin, Wally, Megan and Conner were on a mission and Batman needed to at the cave for back up? And apparently I couldn't go because I like girls?

I don't know, it kind of happened really fast. One minute Robin was spurting something about the queen of Byalia in the cave, and the next minute I'm patrolling over Gotham.

And if that doesn't accurately represent my life: nothing can.

Part of me feels like I should be offended that I can't go on a mission because of my sexuality, but to be honest: I'm pretty sure there's nothing to be upset over. Besides, I've worse things done to me before.

I was flying over the thousandth industrial building when I saw something peculiar. A humanoid figure​ standing on the building.

Confused, I flew closer. It was a guy, a little older then me. He wore a loose hoodie and jeans and had long black hair.

"Um, excuse me? I don't think-" I went to fly closer but stopped when he spun around, looking freaked out.

"Stay back! I'll do it!" He said, voice trembling. "I'll jump!"

I paused, realizing what he was talking about. Furrowing my brows, I fly in front of him, but don't get closer. His eyes were red and puffy and he had scruff on his chin.

At first, I didn't know what to do. I felt nervous, scared. One wrong move and this guy would jump: and I couldn't let that happen.

"What's your name?" I asked as kindly as I could without sounding fake. The guy stared at me before answering.

"C-chris." He stuttered and I smiled.

"Hi Chris, I'm Zephyr." I said.

"I know, I've seen you on the news." He said.

"Really? Wow, that's cool." I said, before getting back to the mission at hand.

"Why are you up here Chris?" I asked. He was silent, looking down.

"What else am I supposed to do?" He asked. "Nobody loves me! My parents kicked me out, my friends abandoned me! I have nobody!"

I felt my heart fall and I bit my lip.

"Well...That can change." I said hopefully.

"W-what?" He asked, looking up at me.

I shrugged before answering. "You can always make new friends! Maybe you can even find love! That's the thing with life: you never know what's going to happen next!"

He didn't seem to like my words. "And what if that never happens?!" He yelled.

"Maybe it won't." I said, being honest. "I cant promise that life will do a total 180 and become amazing: I can't say that because then I'd be lying. But things sure aren't gonna get better fit you jump." I paused. "The only thing you'd be doing is making sure nothing will change. Do you really want to die with no friends? Or do you want to give it your all and try your best to make the best of what life has to offer! You never know what will happen if you don't try."

Chris stares at me for a long time before sighing and stepping away from the edge of the roof. Smiling, I fly closer to Chris and lay a hand on his shoulder.

"Come on Chris! I'll buy you a hot meal and a bus ticket! I know a youth homeless shelter on the outskirts of Metropolis that will be happy to see you." I said gently.

***

I didn't get back to the cave until well after midnight. The moment I got back, I flipped down on the couch. A moment later, I heard Robin cackling.

"How'd you like the big city?" Robin asked humorously.

"If you ever make me do that again: I may just strangle you Boy Wonder." I said. "I stopped a suicide, two attempted rapes, fifteen muggings, and seven attempted murders."

"Busy night." Robin laughed. "Don't think I've ever seen a suicide before, how'd it go?"

"Pretty good I guess..." I muttered. "He was homeless and didn't have any friends. I told him jumping would just eliminate the chance of giving better, and he stepped down. After that I bought him a pizza and a bus ticket to Metropolis, giving him twenty bucks, and the address and phone number to a youth help home."

"Good job." Robin said, patting my back. "You know, you would make a great mentor someday."

I looked up. "Seriously?"

"Totally! You should take on a protege when you get older!"

"I'm not really much of a leader, or a people person..." I muttered.

"Have you met Batman?" Robin joked. "You'd do an awesome job. Trust me."

I smiled and nodded before rolling onto my sides and falling asleep.

Angsty episode brought to you by me not wanting to write out my least favorite episode.