Chapter 48: Even More Complex

"We have reason to feel proud of yesterday's victories." Kaldur said as we walked down the cave's hall to the main room. "But one thing has not changed."

"Somehow the bad guys are still getting inside intel about us." Robin finished.

"Ya, but at least we know none of us are the moll." Wally said optimistically.

"That's correct." Batman said as we walked into the room to see him and Red. "The mole was Red Arrow.

Batman pulled up a holographic image of Roy as we all froze. I felt my stomach drop.

No...not Roy! I can't have another friend do this...

"Roy?" Wally asked. "No way!"

"You're wrong! There's no way he would..." I said, my voice fading.

"It cannot be. He was Green Arrow's protégé, we have all known him for years." Kaldur explained.

"Unfortunately, the Roy Harper we have known for the past three years was another Project Cadmus clone." Red said.

No...no...this can't be right!

"We have learned the real Speedy was abducted and replaced immediately after becoming Green Arrow's sidekick." Batman explained. "The clone was installed with programming to join the Justice League. Which is why he got so angry over any delays in his admission, and why he refused to join the team. This Roy Harper had no idea he was a clone or a traitor, and his subconscious programming drove him to become...league-worthy, so he struck out on his own as Red Arrow. When he was finally admitted, his secondary programming kicked in and he attempted to betray the league to Vandal Savage. Fortunately, I had already deduced Red Arrow as a clone: we were prepared."

"Savage was subdued, but Red Arrow managed to escape. He is now a fugitive, armed and dangerous." Red added.

"If you guys hadn't rescued me from Cadmus..." COnner mumbled.

 "What...hat happened to the real Roy?" Robin asked.

"You mean the original Roy." I corrected. Roy was real, I knew he was: him being a clone didn't change that.

"We don't know." Batman answered. "He isn't at Cadmus. We have to face the possibility that the real Roy Harper...is dead."

Driven by grief, I reach up and grabbed Kaldur's arm as I held back tears, looking down at the ground. I felt his hand place itself over mine and squeezed it gently.

"The clone Roy, the league will find him." Kaldur announced.

"Negative, Red Arrow's a member of the Justice League now. Leave him to us." Batman said, making my head shoot up.

"No! He may be Justice League: but Roy was-is our friend! We're finding him!" I exclaim, going to step forward but Kaldur held me back.

Batman didn't answer me as he pressed his hand to his ear, receiving a com message.

"I'm needed at the Watchtower. Red Tornado, watch the kids."

"You're serious-" Kaldur shut me down as he grabbed my hand, shocking me into shutting my mouth. I whirled around and looked at him, only to see a slightly amused grin on his face.

By the time I was done glaring at Kaldur, Batman was gone and Kaldur turned to address the whole team.

"Clone or no clone, Red Arrow was one of us. We will go after him." Kaldur said, but stopped when we saw Red walk toward us before...shutting down?

"Red?" I asked, stepping forward and poking my mentor.

"What happened to him?" Conner asked.