Chapter 34: Brothers

New cover photo! I know it's not as professional-looking, but I've gotten a lot of people asking what a not-human version of Lina looks like. Sorry if it messed anyone up :)

I felt my phone ring as I tried to unlocked my apartment door. Groaning, I slipped my my key into the lock before using my now-free hand to get my phone out of my jacket pocket, press the green 'accept' button, and place it between my shoulder and my ear. My other hand was holding a large box of groceries that was hard enough to carry as it was.

"Hello, salut." I answered, having not checked the caller ID to see if I had to use French or English.

Bilingual problems, am I right?

I awkwardly moved my hand back to the key; trying to manage carry the groceries, opening the door, and talking on the phone at the same time.

"Salut...That means hello, right?" I heard Artemis' voice ask and I smile, remembering giving Artemis my cell number last week.

"Yes. Most English people believe that Bonjour means hello, but that's actually really moronic as the word is Bon-Jour which any child that's taken a French class knows means good day." I explained, taking out my frustrations on the key which wouldn't unlock the door on the mistakes Anglophones make with my mother-language.

"I hear that." Artemis joked and I recalled her telling me that she was half-Vietnamese. "I was just calling to see if you wanted to hang out. There's this new Action movie I'm dying to see but I go to a prissy school and my mom's not into that kind of thing."

"Sorry Artemis, but I promised my brothers I'd spend the day with them. It doesn't really happen a lot, you know with my extra curriculars, and I'm not really into action-movies either...Call me when a new Disney movie comes out!" I said before shutting my phone, as I finally get my door open. Putting my key back into my jacket pocket, I do the same with my phone before stepping into my apartment.

"I'm home!" I yell in French.

"Did you buy chips?" Leo asked, appearing in front of me and I smirk.

"Help me with the groceries and you'll find out."

Leo groans before taking the box in compliance.

"How was the super market?" I heard Calvin ask.

"It was fine. There was a sale on jam and fish, in different shops of course." I said, taking off my light denim jacket and hanging it up.

"Dad at work already? It's only 8:25." I asked.

"He took up a few extra hours. Something about answering when opportunity knocks?" Leo asked and I hummed in response. A moment later, Leo came out with the bag of all-natural potato chips I had bought.

"I know you're a vegetarian, and a health nut: but do you have to buy all this natural-hippie stuff?" Leo asked, opening the bag nonetheless.

"I'm not poisoning my family with unnatural chemicals." I hummed, sitting down on the couch. "And you can argue about the food I buy when you make the meals."

Leo grumbled in response before sitting down on the couch with me and Calvin.

"No dance stuff? Homework? The world won't blow up with Lina taking a break for a few hours?" Calvin teased.

"I'm done all my schoolwork, and everything's fine in the superhero world. As for dance stuff...My favorite studio's been compromised." I muttered.

I saw the boys stare at me, silently begging me to entertain them with my troubles. Sighing, I gave into their sadistic tendencies.

"There's this guy-""There's a WHAT?!"

I froze in terror as the boys screamed in perfect sync. We all stared at each other, me at my brother and them at me.

"Did he hurt you?" Leo yelled.

"Is he stalking you?" Calvin added.

"Cause we can beat him up."

"Nobody messes with our sister!"

"Especially some chump!"

"Guys! Calm down!" I growled, sending one of my weaker winds to shove them off th couch and be quiet. "He didn't hurt me! Or...Stalk me! He's just a guy from my school that asked me out to the dance in two weeks!"

The boys looked at each other before looking back at me.

"Did you just use your powers on us?" Leo asked.

"Ya, you guys were being loud and not letting me talk!" I exclaimed.

"And you yelled at us without stuttering." Calvin exclaimed.

"...Okay..?" I asked, not sure what they're getting at. Suddenly, the boys leap up into ridiculous martial arts stances.

"Who are you and what have you done to Lina?" The both yelled. Confused, I raise and eyebrow and make a face showing my perplexment.

"What are you two doing?" I asked.

"You have a boyfriend, you used your powers like it was nothing, and you're not stuttering!" Leo explained.

"Our Lina wouldn't do any of that!" Calvin added.

Understanding, I sighed and stood up so I was as equal to their height as I could get.

"I guess...I've just broken out of my shell a bit." I said, fidgeting my hands. "These past few months, and especially these past weeks have taught me a lot about myself and my morals. Part of it's the team, part of it's me, I guess Quinn's a part of it too. I've never had a guy interested in me before, and I sure as heck haven't had any friends outside my family before, so this is all new too me. And as Mom said: every adventure teaches us something about ourselves that we never knew before."

The boys lowered their poses in silence. I couldnt read their expressions, but I knew they were thinking. After a long moment of silence, they looked at each other and, before I knew it: they had attacked me in a bear-hug.

"Little Lina's growing up!!!!" They screamed.

"Guys...I can't...Breathe..."