Chapter 22

Jimin's POV

My eyes flutter open to the morning birds singing there calming melody and the smiling sun shining just a bit of its blinding light through my curtained windows.

Todays the big day I guess, I tell myself as I sit up and stretch me arms out; rubbing me eyes as I lazily get out of bed.

I'm turning 15.

At first I drag me feet around as I walk at a -20 mph pace to the bathroom but when I start getting ready for the day, the excitement gradually starts to seep into me.

This year I'll get to celebrate with mom, dad, and Taetae. The more I think about it the more I start to smile like crazy.

Before I dreaded this day so much because every year when it drew near, instead of bringing happiness it just made my life feel devastatingly unimportant.

It'll be different this time around though. I wouldn't have to wish a happy birthday to myself in a dark, isolated living room anymore. 

Only eating some left over food that my mom threw together last minute. No special feeling coming on my birthday because it would be the same lonely thing I do for 365 days, just for it repeat itself.

That what my birthday and the rest of my life used to be like.

So when they said we'd move during the summer and try to become more of a family, the happiness I felt couldn't possibly be explained through words. Then it got even better because the dull days I had seemed to have turned vividly neon since Ive met Taetae.

~~~

I open my door lost in my own thoughts and as soon as I step out of my room, my mom tackles me with a tight, warm, caring hug.

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY my little baby," she yells with excitement; I smile and chuckle at her, returning a firm hug.

"Thank moms," I say with a little laugh, shifting my head so I can look her in the eye."I'm not a little kid anymore though. You called me little Baby? I've been considered an adult since I was 13."

"What kind of trash are you talking," she says as we start walking with her arm around her shoulder; I think we're heading to the kitchen.

"No matter how old you get, you'll always be my little boy." She says as she caresses my cheek, a loving look in her eyes.

I pretend to pout at her comment, but in truth it actually made me truly happy to hear that.

" SO.... how much pancakes do you want for breakfast." She yells enthusiastically as she lets go of me, going to put on her sky blue apron.

"Hmm..... ,"I scratch my chin and look up as I think about it." Since I'm 15, 15 pancakes please." I say playing with her.

She stops and turns with a jokey fake smile on her face," 3 you said? Great choice Jimin," she says as she turns back around to start making the mixture.

I chuckle at her response and rest my head on my hand as I admire her posture as she cooks.

I'm so lucky to have her as a mom I think to myself.

~~~

She puts down the freshly made pancakes in front of me and my eyes light up; my mouth starting to water from it's delicious fragrance.

I look up at her who seems to be waiting for my opinion, but the confidence and arrogance shows in her face with the little smirk she does; she already knows that it tastes good.

I cut a gigantic piece and shove it into my mouth. I barely chew as I swallow the whole thing down. With my mouth full, I go to speak but she cuts me off.

"I already know, they're delicious thank you," she says as she heads for the fridge.

"You don't know if I was going to say that," I say in defense, but I really was going to say that.

She snickers. "Please, it was written all over your face that you loved it. " she says as she pulls out two drinks from the fridge.

"Orange juice or Apple?"

"Ahh.... orange please," I say pointing with the fork.

She grabs down a cup from the cupboard, setting in down in front of me and unscrewing the cover of the juice.

"Hey mom," I ask as I still stare at her pouring a cup with a small smile on her face.

She answers with a hmmm as she keeps her gaze on the cup.

" Where's dad?"

I've actually been wondering for time but I wasn't sure what time to ask.

She gradually stops pouring, her little smile seemed to disappear, then she looks up at me with a sorry look in her eyes. But it's only for a second as she covers it up with a noticeable fake smile.

Sorry buddy," she says as she rubs my head, trying to give a reassuring smile.

" I'll be here with you," she says give me a little hug.

So dad's not coming huh? We just started to spend some time together after we moved here, but he just got caught up in work like before.

He's never around the house anymore, and when he is, he's held up in his room doing work.

"Your dad's not here right now but I would expect Tae to be here, where is he?" she says trying to move on, and she did I great job at that"Did u tell him that it was your birthday today?"

I think back to yesterday when I told him to come.

" I could say that I hinted at it," I say with an awkward laugh, realizing that I didn't really give him a reason to come.

" Seriously sweetie," my mom says with a little eyebrow raise. "If you didn't make it clear for him he might not come."

"But he promised, so he'll come," I said trying to back up my idea of him actually coming, but I'm not so confident myself. She sighs at my childish reasoning, going along with it in the end.

"Ok," she says putting me head to her chest and kissing it to calm me down because I guess I'm getting too worked up. "He'll remember your vague invitation and come. But please don't be too disappointed if he doesn't."

I'm starting to doubt now. Hopefully he'll come. Today's a nice day but it'll be so much better if he was here; only if it's just a glance of him and he leaves right away, that'll be fine.

I really just want to see him.