Chapter 5

"Can I ride with you to school today?" Austin asks as he pops his head into my room.

"What's wrong with your car?" I turn away from my mirror to look at him.

"I'm supposed to be going somewhere with Darrell and a few others after school and I'm riding with them. It's going to be too much bringing my car."

"Oh, well you can ride with me," I nod. "But I'm stopping at Starbucks."

"Cool. I could use a fresh bagel." He grins.

"That means I'm leaving 15 minutes earlier." I try to stress my words to him. 

"Alright, alright. I'll be ready." He says before leaving my room.

I continue to get ready. Two weeks have passed and we were officially back at yet another Monday. Surprisingly, the weeks seemed to go by in a timely fashion, which I didn't mind. I was finally getting back into the swing of things and back to homework and what not. I hurry to slip on my sneakers and grab my backpack before exiting my room.

"I'll be in the car!" I yell as I knock on Austin's bedroom door.

"Okay, I'll be down in a minute!" He yells back just as I make it to the stairs.

I head downstairs and since I don't see either of my parents, I head out of the house and to the car. I start the car and patiently wait for my brother. I decide to text Zane, asking him if he wanted Starbucks. But all I get in return is a witty response about how I should know by now that he hates coffee...or Starbucks in general. I roll my eyes at his response and make a mental note not to offer Zane anything Starbucks related.

Just as I am about to grow annoyed from Austin not already coming out the house, I see him hurrying out the door. He seems a bit disheveled and I can't understand why he takes so long in the morning when I do more than he does to get ready.

"Finally," I say as he climbs in.

"Sorry, I couldn't find my trig notebook." He says as he closes the car door and puts his seatbelt on.

"Did you find it?" I ask as I pull out of the driveway.

"Yep, it was in the dining room. Hopefully Mr. Casano doesn't check the homework today."

"So you didn't do your homework but you were searching frantically for your notebook?" I furrowing eyebrows at him.

"Well yeah. I'm going to see if Raven has the answers since we have class together."

"Good luck with that," I huff a laugh. "Raven hates anything math related."

"Of course I wouldn't have to ask her if you weren't so advanced."

"Advanced or not, who's to say I would've given you the answers?"

"Come on, Zuri. You know I would've gotten the answers from you. I'm your brother."

"Okay and?"

"You love me."

"Okay and?"

"We're twins."

"Okay and?" I repeat for the third time a bit louder.

"We always have each other's back."

"I am not some back up piece to use at your disposal when you don't feel like doing your own work, Austin."

"I know you're not. I'm just saying that your answers are usually always correct and you are someone to lean on when I need help."

"Or to copy?"