Chapter 16

"I can't believe you're doing this." Austin says as he watches me tie the laces on my hiking boots.

"You and me both."

"Is Dad betting you another hundred dollars? Because if he is then I think I want to come, too." He laughs.

"Unfortunately there is no money involved this time." I stand up and shake my head sadly.

"Well at least you're getting something out of it."

"Trust me if I wasn't, I would not be going." I tell him. "But thanks for driving me. Especially so early in the morning."

"No problem. You have one more solid left after this and it feels amazing inside." He smiles of satisfaction as he puts his t-shirt on.

"Hmm, that means I have to make it a good one." I stroke my chin. "But for now, let's just get to the school so that I don't miss the bus and have Zane hate me forever."

"Alright. Just give me five minutes." He dashes out of my room.

I decide to go over my things and make sure I have everything I need. I receive a text from Zane asking me if I am up and ready. I quickly text him a yes before I continue to make sure everything is in order. Five minutes later I am ready to go and we head out. When we get to the school, I spot the familiar coach bus and students standing outside of it. I thank my brother for driving me and get out of the car. I head over to where I spotted Mr. Rosen writing something down.

"Hi, Mr. Rosen." I greet and wave hello.

He looks up from his clipboard and smiles when he realizes who I am. "Zuri Russo, good morning. Are you ready to have some fun?"

"You know it, Mr. Rosen!" I say in a sarcastically happy cheer and give him a big smile with a thumbs up.

"Now that's the spirit I am looking for!" He laughs. "You can put your bag in the bottom of the bus. We'll be boarding in about 10 minutes."

I nod and adjust the heavy bag on my back. After watching him check my name off, I head over to the bus where our other chaperone Mr. Ray was. He was helping to load the bus and so he takes my bag from me and places it at the bottom of the bus along with the others. I thank him before walking away. I stand off to the side and kick around a small rock to pass the time.

"Zuri! Good morning."

I look up and see a very excited Andie.

"Hey, Andie."

"You sure look happy to be up so early." She jokes and I laugh.

"I'm trying, Andie. I'm trying."

"I'm really happy you're here! It's going to be a fun day."

"I hope so."

"Zane's here." She nods at something behind me.

When I turn I see Zane making his way over to us. He has his backpack on one shoulder and a big grin on his face. He is wearing a maroon colored crew neck sweater and black jeans. His hair is out and blowing freely from the cool breeze. I bite my lip to stop myself from smiling at the sight of him. In the most basic apparel he always looked so good and almost a year later I have the same feelings inside whenever I see or think about him that I did before.

"Good morning, ladies." Zane says once he is close enough.

"Good morning." Andie and I both say.

"Andie, Ty is actually looking for you."

"Oh, right! I forgot he was bringing me something. I'll be back." She dashes away as I wave and look back at Zane.