Chapter 27

I head downstairs Monday morning for breakfast, feeling exceptionally hungry. The kitchen is empty this morning as I sit down to eat my cereal. Usually both of my parents are in here making food or drinking their coffee along with my brother scarfing down any food he can get his hands on. But my father went out of town to check out some real estate a few hours away for his job, my mother is still in her room, and who knows what Austin is doing.

I can hear the sound of rushed, clicking heels and I know that it's my mother. She seems to be in a rush because as she enters the kitchen she is trying to put in her earrings as well as rush over to Keurig for her daily dose of coffee.

"Good morning." I say after I finish chewing my cereal.

"Good morning." She sounds out of breath and she leans against the counters.

"Rough morning?" I ask with an amused smile as she tries to fix her straightened hair and put it back into place.

"Yes. For some reason I didn't hear my alarm and your father wasn't here to be my second alarm clock like he usually is so I overslept. Not to mention I have a meeting this morning."

"That would explain the heels," I nod. "Though I have to admit, Mom. You look hot."

She makes a breathy laugh. "Thank you, honey."

I smile at her as she comes over to give me a side hug. "So are we still on for tonight?"

"Yeah of course. My recital is this Friday and I've yet to find something to wear." I hold my head in disbelief.

"Well I could've taken you sooner but you're always too busy out partying or with your boyfriend." She purses her lips as she goes to fill her mug with coffee.

"That is so..." I begin to say but notice the way she is looking at me, daring me to lie. "Notcompletely true."

My mother chuckles. "Yeah, sure."

"Mom, of course I want to go with you. I hate to admit it, but sometimes you do a better job than I do at shopping."

"Well, I can't argue with you on that one." She smiles confidently and winks, causing me to roll my eyes and for her to laugh.

"I know you have piano rehearsal today so meet me at the house by 6."

"Okay."

"But because I never got the scoop," She comes closer to sit at the table. I see a mischievous smirk on her lips, causing my eyes to narrow at her in suspicion. "How are things with you and Bri? And what was all that yelling about? Did something happen at the party?"

I knew my mother would eventually ask. I know her all too well. I never told her about why the three of us were arguing yesterday so of course even on a day that she is rushing she still squeezes in time for gossip.

"Can we uh, talk about this later, maybe?" I scratch my head even though it doesn't itch.

"Okay, fine." She nods. "But are you and Brianna at least talking?"

"Um...something like that."

"I don't know what that means." She shakes her head slowly.

"I can give you a better answer by the end of the day." I suggest. "Because I don't know what is going on between us."

"Okay." She gives up. "You girls and the drama. It's never ending, I swear."

"Mom, this time it was not my fault."

"Notice how it never seems to be your fault." She snickers.

"But this time it's really not." I frown.