Chapter 13

"You two better be on your best behavior." My mother tells Austin and I. She was fixing her suitcase while Gregg was on the phone with his coworker. Austin, Zane, and I were chilling in our living room. I was watching Zane and Austin play video games while simultaneously reading on my Nook tablet.

"Mom, how many times do we have to tell you that we're 18 and not 12?" Austin rolls his eyes and I nod in agreement.

It was Friday afternoon and my parents were going away for the weekend for their job. Mom always overreacts as if Austin and I are two reckless children who can't be trusted when their parents leave town. But in reality, Austin and I rarely did anything out of the ordinary. Plus, throwing a house party here did not sound appealing. No way did I want my classmates in my house just to trash it. Not my cup of tea.

"I know, but I don't want to come home to any one getting suspended or getting more stitches." She eyes the both of us.

"Wow." Austin and I both gape at her, causing Zane to stifle a laugh.

"That was petty, Mom." I scoff a laugh.

"You know I had valid reasons as to why I got suspended," Austin tells her.

"And it's not my fault Will doesn't know how to keep his hands to himself." I add.

"I'm just teasing." She smirks at us.

"No you're not. Deep down inside you're serious." Austin accuses.

"Maybe a little, but I'm just saying that I want you two to be safe and stay out of trouble."

"We know." We both groan in unison.

"Seriously, what's the worst that could happen in three days?"

"Do you really want me to answer that question?" She arches her eyebrow at us. Austin and I look at each other and roll our eyes.

"Nicole, we have to get going!" Gregg says as he rushes into the room. "We can't miss our flight."

"Okay. We'll call you when we land." My mother places her bag on the table and Austin and I get up to give her a quick hug.

"Have a safe flight."

We wave as they head out of the house before plopping back down onto the couch.

"So what are the plans for tonight?" Austin asks Zane and me.

Zane and I look at each other before shrugging our shoulders.

"You two have nothing planned for tonight?" He doesn't seem to believe that Zane and I have no plans.

"I mean we were thinking about seeing a movie but we never officially made the plans to." Zane shrugs and I nod my head in agreement.

"I have something even better in mind." He grins at the two of us and I become suspicious.

"Like what?"

"Why don't we invite some people over—"

"Austin, we are not having a party." I tell him in a serious tone. No way was I going to let that happen here because I did not want to spend my Saturday cleaning up after everyone and worrying that they'll break something.

"I never said anything about a party. I'm talking about a get-together." He says. I am not exactly sure where he is going with this so I wait for him to continue speaking. "You said the two of you were thinking about going to see a movie, right?"

"Yeah?" Zane and I say at the same time and we sound equally bemused.

"Why not watch a movie here for free? And with people you know."