Chapter 9

I walk into school Monday morning in an indifferent mood. Indifferent because it was Monday and I'd rather be at home sleeping, but that's nothing new. A part of my mood was still affected negatively because of my argument with Zane. I haven't spoken to him since our argument on Saturday and it's been on my mind.

After spending the rest of Saturday night being angry, my anger soon turned into worry. I couldn't understand why he was so upset. And it frustrated me the more I tried to figure out why because I couldn't come up with a good explanation. I wanted to assume that it was the topic of college. I know Zane hasn't really thought about his options yet and it's not something he has brought up. But it is a topic that will inevitably come up between us.

And if it is about college...why won't he talk to me about it?

I didn't want to blame it on his usual mood fluctuations because I'm tired of that being his excuse. He can't keep being a jerk to everyone just because he is in a bad mood. I don't do to it to him so I would expect the same courtesy.

I swear trying to figure Zane out is like trying to figure out a Rubik's cube.

It's not as easy as it looks!

And what makes it worse was that I tried to put my anger aside and reach out to him even when I said I wasn't going to. But did I get a hold of him? Of course not. I knew he had to work on Sunday from 11 in the morning to 7 in the evening which was practically all day. And then I remembered he was meeting up with his friends after that. But I still thought maybe he would give me a call or text back, but of course he didn't. He is so frustrating and he doesn't even care.

Let's just say if the roles were reversed, I would never be able to get away with the things he does. And he knows that.

I spot Raven and Brianna talking with Malcolm and I decide to head over them. Maybe talking to my friends would get my mind off of Zane. I told them what happened over the phone yesterday and they were on my side about it. I sling my backpack onto my shoulders and head over to them.

"Hey." I wave.

"Hi, Zuri." They all wave.

"How are you this morning?" Raven asks.

"I'm okay, how about you?"

"Good." Everyone says in unison.

"Why are you all standing outside? It's so windy." I wince from the strong, cool air that was blowing and bury half of my face into my thin jacket. I look up at the gloomy sky and it looks as if it is going to rain.

"I'm not sure, we kind of just stopped right here." Brianna shrugs and laughs. "But we can go inside."

"It is a bit cold," Malcolm agrees. "Let's go inside."

Everyone follows behind him up the stairs and into the building. As we walk down the hall, Malcolm decides to stop and talk to a few friends and tells the three of us to go on without him. So as we continue walking down the hall, I decide to listen to Raven and Brianna tell me about the waiter who was trying to hit on Brianna while they were out on Saturday.

"I know Malcolm and I aren't exactly dating yet, but it still feels nice to tell someone you have a boyfriend and have it not be a complete lie." Brianna shrugs.

"Yeah, I don't think I can really relate to that." I laugh at her words.

"Come on! You've never used the 'sorry, but I have a boyfriend' line when you knew that you really didn't have one?"

"I've never had to. Or at least I never had to lie about it." I shake my head.

"You'll experience it someday." She pats my shoulder.