Chapter 36

When I wake up the next morning and take a look at myself in the mirror, I do not like what I see. My hair is a horrible mess since I was too lazy to fix it before going to bed, my eyes felt dry and were extremely puffy, not to mention my usual glowing brown skin seemed dull and lifeless. Nothing about me felt remotely cute and my mood matched my appearance. It was going to take a miracle to get myself to look at least decent for school.

Ugh, school. The last place I wanted to be. Maybe I should just skip and find another place to stay for the day. But I knew that I had a quiz in chemistry today that I couldn't miss. Why do tests and quizzes always fall on the day you want it the least? No matter how much my body was telling me not to go to school, to fake an illness and stay home, I couldn't.

Truth be told, I was dreading having to see him.

I wanted nothing to do with him and it didn't help that we have class together. But I also knew that I didn't have to talk to him if I didn't want to. I was better than this and I would not let some foolish boy run me away from school. He may not care about his education or his future, but I do.

Zane never stopped calling or texting me. He left all kinds of messages, begging for me to talk to him. It was getting out of control at one point that I actually answered his phone call. I told him to leave me alone and if he keeps calling my phone then he will really be sorry. I hung up before he got a chance to reply. After that I decided to block his number. Actually, I blocked him from anything that he could potentially get in touch with me from.

The first step to getting over a breakup is to cut off all kinds of contact. Letting them have access to you will do more harm than good.

I was still angry. Very angry, actually. I thought maybe after some rest the anger would subside for a bit but it hasn't. It is very much alive and my family has avoided talking to me because of it. Besides, being angry felt better than being sad. I didn't want to mope around; I didn't want to show that I was weak. Not this time and not because of him.

I splash my face with some water to help me wake up a bit more. Because it took me a while to actually get out of bed I knew I was more than likely going to be late to school. But I didn't care. Nothing really mattered at the moment. I dress in black leggings and a grey crewneck sweater. I put on my Adidas sneakers and try my best to conceal the puffiness in my eyes. My hair is a struggle that I refuse to fight with but I manage to get it into a high ponytail and because I am too tired and lazy to do anything else to my appearance, I get ready to leave.

School is loud and annoying and it took extra-long to find a parking space since I was running behind. I make it through the doors just as the late bell rings and I take my time towards my locker. I was already late, no need to rush now. After finishing at my locker I opt to just take a long time to get to class. And when I do get there, I quietly sit down and place my head on the desk, hoping the day will quickly pass by.

<>.<>.<>

"Where have you been all day?" Raven asks as she and Brianna slides on opposite sides of me at my locker.

The day was finally over and I wanted nothing more than to go home and to sleep. I felt so detached from everything and everyone around me. And I was so focused on passing that test in chemistry that I'm sure I bombed it because I could not remember a single thing. I can't seem to focus today and I find myself replaying yesterday's events until I am blinking away more tears.