Chapter 12

"Good morning." I announce to my family as I enter the kitchen. Both of my parents are buzzing around the kitchen trying to gather food and Austin is sitting at the table eating his cereal.

"Good morning." Everyone mumbles and doesn't look very happy, causing me to frown.

"Did everyone wake up on the wrong side of the bed?"

"It's Monday." Austin looks up at me.

"Your father and I have a long day ahead of us," My mother says as she is filling her coffee thermos mug. "And someone forgot to set the alarm this morning."

"It was an accident. I don't know how many times I have to tell you that." Gregg stops to look at my mother with an annoyed look. She only looks at him momentarily before shaking her head and continuing to make her coffee.

"Well I hope you still can enjoy your day." I tell them both.

My parents stop what they're doing and exhale before smiling at me. "Thank you, honey." I move forward to hug them both.

"You both enjoy your day. We've gotta go!" Dad kisses my forehead before rushing past me.

"Zuri, don't forget to wash the dishes when you get home from school!" Mom reminds me and I try not to glare.

"I have piano practice today."

"Well then when you get back home from practice."

"Fine." I pout.

"Bye, loves!" Mom waves at us.

"Bye," Austin and I both say as they rush out of the kitchen and soon out of the house. As I fix myself a bowl of cereal I smile at Austin. My wide grin causes him to frown at me.

"What?"

"About those solids that you owe me..." I begin and stare at my bowl of cereal as I swirl it around with my spoon.

"Come on, Zuri!" Austin exclaims. He already knows my request and it makes me smile even wider.

"Where are we going?"

"You know what I mean!" He yells. "I'm not washing the dishes for you."

"Then I want my notes back."

"No!"

"Aus, you said you would do three solids for me as long as they did not involve money. This is the perfect solid. You owe me this."

He is quiet because he knows I am right.

"And if you do this...you'll only owe me two more solids. I honestly think washing dishes isn't so bad compared to what I could have asked for."

"Oh yeah? Like what?"

"Doing my laundry, washing my car—"

"Ha! Never going to happen." He laughs at me. "I'm not going to be your little bitch."

"I'm not asking you to," I laugh at his choice of words. "But I am asking you to do me this solid."

He doesn't respond; he just scowls me at me.

"You owe me this." I remind him.

"Fine, I'll do the stupid dishes." He mutters.

"Great! You're the best." I clap happily causing his frown to increase.

"Why are you in such a great mood today?"

"I'm not sure." I tell him honestly with a shrug.

"It can't be because of school."