Chapter 33

"So this is it." I stand before Zane. "This is where it ends."

"Zuri, I'll be gone for a week, not forever." Zane rolls his eyes at my dramatic behavior.

I burst into a fit of giggles before I pull him close to me. "I know but you're still leaving me."

"You wanted me to go." He reminds me.

"Don't act like you didn't want to go."

"But still. You gave me the final green light."

"Oh hush. I'm happy that you're going, I'm just going to miss you."

Zane intertwines our fingers before softly kissing me on the lips. "It'll be over before you know it."

I smile and squeeze his hand. The day has come and now Zane was finally going on his weeklong trip to Toronto. Time has flown by and both Christmas and New Years have passed. The weeks seemed to go by in a hurry. Christmas was great and it was a day well spent with my family. For New Years, my family threw a huge party that was awesome. So during my winter break I made sure to relax and be extra lazy for the sake of it. School was starting again on Monday after being away for two weeks for break and I wasn't looking forward to it. And of course Zane leaves for Canada the week we go back to school.

Nothing at school has really changed except that things have been pretty moderate for the past few weeks. After that day I voiced my ideas about finding out who my secret admirer was, I did decide to let it go. Zane was right and I was just overreacting about it and was willing to just put it to rest. I knew my plan about talking to Will wouldn't work and it wouldn't make things any better for me so I dropped it. And I have yet to come up with a better idea.

But after a while none of that mattered because I was too focused on my studies. I needed to be on track with everything and while ignoring it didn't stop the amount of gifts and notes I received, it did distract my mind from them. It was growing old and it was a real waste of time. The truth would soon come and I had a feeling that since it was now the new year that it would be coming fairly soon. I didn't know what I would say or do when it does happen, but I do know that it will be relieving.

I hear the call for Zane's flight and the line forming for him to board the plane. I hug him again. "Make sure you call or text me when you land."

"Okay, Mom." He teases before smirking.

"And be safe."

"Well when I'm up in the air my fate is in the hands of the pilot."

I slap his chest. "You know what I mean."

Zane laughs before pulling me back to him. "I know and I'll be safe. I have to go now but I'll miss you."

"Me too, I'll see you soon." I pull away so that he can leave and board the plane. I watch as he leaves and he waves at me one last time before I can no longer see him. And I know that's he'll only be gone for a week but I still can't help but miss him. And if I'll miss him this much for a week, I can only imagine next summer when he actually leaves for an indefinite amount of time. I don't like the feeling it brings inside so I quickly dismiss the thought and begin to exit the airport. As I am walking towards the parking lot, I hear my phone go off and I see that it's a text from Zane.

Miss you already.

I smile at his sweet message and reply.

I miss you too. Now turn off your phone! I told you to be safe :)

He replies by the time I reach my car.