Chapter 7

I wake and squint from the bright light that was coming through my window. I roll over so that I am on my back and stare up at the ceiling. Last night's escapades begin to flood my mind and when I look over, Lila is sound asleep beside me.

After she finished throwing up, Zane went to find Ronnie. But surprise! Zane found Ronnie too high off of whatever drugs she was on to even care. That really upset me because Lila isn't even from this country and Ronnie was supposed to at least keep an eye on her but she was too busy getting high with friends to even care about Lila. So I had no other choice than to bring Lila with me. And thankfully my mother let me bring her in and take care of her for the night. Lila was very sick for some reason last night and cried a lot because she felt bad about getting so drunk. But my mom helped me out and we eventually gave her some water and she soon fell right asleep.

I see that it is only around 11:30 in the morning and decide to get up because I was starving. I head downstairs and fix myself a bowl of cereal. When I get back to my room, I see Lila sitting at my desk, speaking on the phone. She was apologizing, probably to her host family, and said that she would be coming home soon. I quietly close the door behind me and sit down on the bed to watch a little TV. Once Lila hangs up the phone, she sighs and comes over to the bed.

"Zuri, I am so sorry for last night. It's never happening again."

"Lila, it's okay. Don't be so hard on yourself."

"It was so embarrassing! Your mom had to help me and I couldn't even go home because I was so trashed." She runs her fingers through her hair, trying to get out a few tangles she had. "Karen, my host mother I guess you could call her, was so worried about me. And I never want to do that to her again."

"What did she say on the phone?"

"She's not angry with me, she just wished that I would have told her I wasn't coming back home, which is understandable. I'm never going out with Ronnie ever again." She shakes her head.

"It happens to the best of us. But you've just got to keep moving." I remind her.

"You're right. I can never thank you enough for looking out for me." She leans forward to hug me.

"You're welcome. Do you want me to give you a ride to your place?"

"If you don't mind," A little blush creeps onto her cheeks. "I think I'm going to spend my day catching up on sleep."

"I honestly don't blame you." I laugh.

"Oh and  Zuri...do you think we could keep this between the two of us?"

"Your secret's safe with me." I smile.

<>.<>.<>

"Hey, Zuri."

I look up from my locker and see Brianna, Maia, Raven. "Oh hey, what's up?"

"We were just telling Maia about the senior beach party." Brianna says.

"It sounds fun." Maia says.

"We've never been."

"Because we weren't seniors." Raven reminds Brianna.

"So?" Brianna rolls her eyes at Raven. "Anyways, every year the senior class throws a big party at the beach and it's supposedly a lot of fun."

"I'm definitely down to go." Maia nods happily.

"When is it again?" I ask.

"Really, Zuri!" Brianna yells.

"What?"