Chapter 25

"Thank you so much for agreeing to come. You are truly a life saver."

"I know." Raven says as she enters my house. "And now you owe me."

"As long as it's rational I'll do whatever you want." I say as I close the door behind her.

Like I had hoped, Raven agreed to go with Brianna and I to the party tonight. Having Raven there will make it bearable and I wouldn't feel alone.

"So I figured I would just stay over tonight because I know my Dad isn't going to come and get me."

"That's fine. It's been a while since we had a sleepover, anyways."

The two of us head upstairs and we discuss what we are going to wear. When we get to my room, I hear my phone ringing. I rush over to grab the phone off the bed and see that it's Zane calling. I hurry to answer the phone and put it on speaker phone.

"Hi." I answer happily.

"Hey."

"What's up?"

"Not much, I'm just on break and I was bored."

"Not a busy day at the diner?"

"Oh no, it's definitely busy. And none of the coworkers I actually hang out with are on break right now."

"Oh, so you only call me when your friends aren't around?" I tease as I take a seat on the bed. I watch Raven as she sits at my vanity and begins to fix her hair.

"Yup. Do you have a problem with it?" Zane plays along.

"I do, actually."

"Hm, maybe we can try to solve that problem when I get off of work at 9."

I pause just as I remember our talk yesterday. I agreed to see Zane after he got off work tonight but now I can't because of the party. And I'm not too sure how he's going to feel about that.

"Oh yeah, about that..."

"What?"

"I have to take a raincheck on that."

"Why? What are you doing at 9 o'clock?"

"I...am actually going to that party tonight." I bite my lip nervously.

"Malcolm and Maia's party?"

"Uh...yes." I don't know why I feel so nervous about his reaction. I guess it's because I know it probably won't be a good one. But then again I don't blame him. I would be upset too if he told me he was going.

"Wait a minute," He makes a long pause over the phone. "The party you were so passionate about not going to?"

"That's the one. Crazy what life can throw at you, right?" I huff an awkward laugh.

"You're lying. You're not going."

"I really am. Raven is here in my room. She's going, too."

Raven yells hello to Zane and he says hello back in a friendly tone before going back to our conversation.

"What changed your mind?"

"Brianna begged me to go and—"

"Wait," He interjects. I roll my eyes because I already know what he is going to say. "You agree to go just because Brianna asks you to? Since when? You can't be serious, Zuri."

"Can you shut up and just listen to me?"

"Okay, fine."

"I really don't want to go like I've been saying. But she really wants to be with her boyfriend for his birthday and—"