Chapter 38

I gasp and whisk around at the sound of my name. My body falls back into the front door and I ignore the pain I caused in my shoulder as I cover my mouth to stop the scream that almost escaped. I stare wide eyed and in complete shock at the person standing before me.

"I didn't mean to scare you," Zane says. His hand reaches out, probably to soothe me, but I move away from his touch, causing his hand to drop. "I'm sorry."

I am unable to speak and am still trying to find my own voice. My heart rate begins to slow after being frightened and my body begins to relax though not completely because his very presence keeps my body on edge. I remove the hand that covered my mouth and bit my lip anxiously.

What was he doing here?

I realize that it has been so long since I have seen him. I don't even know the last time I have been without seeing Zane for more than a week. But just one glance at him tells me that I have missed him. Yes as angry and hurt that I was I still missed him. And seeing him standing here before me brought back all of those feelings I tried to ignore for these two weeks have sprung right back into place, allowing me no time to adjust.

But just one glance at him tells me that he isn't doing well at all. His hair is completely disheveled, outgrown and hanging around his shoulders with a frizzy halo, It's usual shiny luster is no where to be seen. His tan brown skin is extremely pale and it causes an uneasiness in my stomach because it makes the hollowness of his eyes along with the dark circles that surround them to protrude. His nose and cheeks have a red tint to them but I think that it's only due to the cold.

His black sweater is hanging on him in a sloppy way and he's wearing grey sweatpants, something Zane never swears outdoors. He has on slippers even though it has to be no more than 30 degrees outside. In my year of knowing him I have never seen him look this bad. And even though I was still mad at him something about this image just did not sit right in my stomach.

"What are you doing here?" My voice is low and breathily.

"2 and a half weeks," He says. "2 and a half weeks since I've last seen you."

He completely ignores my question and I am unsure of how to respond to his statement.
"Zane..."

"I'm here to explain my side of things. I can't go on another week without getting some kind of closure from you."

His dull eyes are filled with determination. He came here with intentions to get me to listen and he wasn't going to leave until he was heard. And I guess he deserved at least to explain. I don't know if it'll be the truth because I don't trust anything he says anymore but I'll listen to him.

"All I want to do is explain the truth, Zuri."

"Okay." My voice is soft.

"And after you hear the truth and decide that you can't find it in your heart to believe me or forgive me then I will walk out of your life and I won't ever bother you again. But just give me a chance to explain."

His words cause a hard lump to form in my throat. Seeing him standing here was harder than I was expecting and it makes me wonder how I would have felt if he had been in school these past two weeks. No matter how angry I am I know that I still love him. Of course I do. How could I stop loving him in 2 weeks?

"Okay." Why do I keep saying okay? Why can't I saying anything else but stupid okay?

"Thank you."

I draw my eyes away from him and exhale, feeling my heart rate beginning to increase again. My hands have grown sweaty despite the cold air and I was trembling. All of these emotions I had tried so hard to block out these last few weeks were beginning to resurface. And all because of one look from Zane...